Tuesday, October 16, 2012

HOLLYWOOD SPY SPOTLIGHT ON SPECTACULAR NEW EPIC SF SHOW "DEFIANCE" WITH GRANT BOWLER, JAIME MURRAY, JULIE BENZ, TONY CURRAN, MIA KIRSHNER!

We haven't had much of true sf shows on television in recent years, ever since STAR TREK ENTREPRISE finished its flight, FIREFLY died prematurely and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA disappointed in content and entertainment. But things are changing at least at SyFy Channel. Earlier this April they've started an American Canadian production on new sf series DEFIANCE which will hit small screens in April 2013! It will be an innovative serial drama from the minds behind "Battlestar Galactica" and "Farscape". It will follow a mysterious man who, drifting through a terramorphed American landscape, settles in a border town where aliens and humans fight against the fragility of peace.
DEFIANCE STORY
The series is set in the near future, where aliens known collectively as Votans have come to Earth seeking a new home after their solar system was destroyed. However, when they reached Earth they discovered that despite a prolonged negotiation with the government on Earth they
were not welcome. Rather than turn away, they began a war with the humans as they are determined to make Earth their new home. During the war, the Votans drop terraformers on the planet and transform the
surface of the planet; scorching the earth, opening chasms in the ground and covering the surface of the planet in dust and debris. After decades of war, a ceasefire is declared when both side realise that they must focus on survival on this new almost alien planet. The series largely
revolves around the character of Jeb Nolan. Jeb was only ten years old when the Votans arrived and he served in the military during the war. With the war now over, he returns to his hometown of St Louis to find that its is no longer the city he left; it is little more than a refugee camp.
Deciding that his services are needed, Jeb takes up a position as the Chief Lawkeeper in DEFIANCE, so he can protect the town from dangerous clashes between humans and aliens, military scavengers and others dangerous visitors who occasionally enter the town.
DEFIANCE CAST
Kiwi actor Grant Bowler (True Blood, Ugly Betty) plays Nolan, former soldier and newly appointed law keeper in the bustling frontier town of DEFIANCE. Julie Benz (Dexter, No Ordinary Family) plays 
Amanda Rosewater, the idealistic mayor of DEFIANCE who is committed to maintaining peace in a deadly new world. The Oscar-nominated actor Graham Greene (Dances With Wolves) plays Rafe McCawley, richest man in Defiance and owner of the largest mine
in the territory. Jaime Murray (SPARTACUS) portrays Stahma Tarr, a highly influential member of the elite Castithan alien race. Tony Curran (League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Blade II) plays Datak
Tarr, scheming Castithan alien and ark survivor. Stephanie Leonidas plays Irisa, Nolan’s ward and Irathient alien warrior. Fionulla Flanagan will portray Nicky, popular ex-mayor of Defiance and mentor to Amanda. Mia Kirshner (24, The L Word) plays Kenya, the town 
madam of DEFIANCE whose devotion has woven her into many of the city’s affairs. The show will be directed by Scott Stewart who helmed sf films PRIEST and LEGION, and is produced by producers of FARSCAPE, DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES, V, ALIEN NATION, SEAQUEST...

34 comments:

  1. Hopefully this one turns out pretty good. I don't trust scifi to do the right thing. I think the last stargate show was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, having in mind it's Canadian/ SyFy production, it doesn't bring up hopes.... but the hope dies last :)

      Delete
  2. This seems like a show I could possibly be interested in but something tells me it will be a disappointment!

    I was kinda bothered by that pic of the red head...third from last! Man she fugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, sf shows like this one often have kitschy visuals and style, which is why we often see badly died red heads in the cast. But I think this girl could be prettier in the show, since she looks better in the banner and the poster above than in that last pic. But I do expect bad costumes and trashy make up :)

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a show I'll enjoy watching. I do love me some sci fi/fantasy.:D

    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, hmmm, not sure about this one. Don't have the Sci-Fi channel anyway, so I suppose I'll just have to wait and see what others think. I do like sci-fi when it's done well, but it's one of those genres that can easily veer into the ridiculous pretty quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'tis true, we haven't had a good sf show since ENTERPRISE :( Come to think of it, we've almost never had a good sf show outside STAR TREK :( Keeping fingers crossed for this one :)

      Delete
  5. I'm interested to see where they take this. I'm not able to watch the preview until the morning (hubby is watching Arrow). I'm a huge fan of Alien Nation so that gives me hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, and what does Devin say about ARROW? I'm currently devastated that I don't have THE WALKING DEAD at my cable, so I forgot about other shows :( I know ARROW had a huge opening in USA and that BEAUTY AND THE BEAST had decent numbers too. PARK AVENUOE 666 wasn't that successful.

      Delete
    2. Well, the preview wasn't much to go on LOL =PP

      Delete
    3. The one SyFyi released for Defiance.

      Devin really enjoyed Arrow last night. He has it set to record on the DVR and he also started watching Beauty and the Beast too but it got late so he didn't finish it. I'll let you know what he thinks of that if you'd like? I'm not into that one, myself. What I caught of Arrow was good. I was going to give Park Ave a try but then saw more previews on TV and lost interest. It seemed, I don't know...weird, even for me, the one who loves horror. =)

      Delete
    4. yep, it was just a teaser to tease us a bit :)
      I probably won't be watching ARROW nor BATB :) Don't have time, have to watch WALKING DEAD, MERLIN, ONCE UPON A TIME... too much to watch :)

      Delete
  6. I'm always hopeful, but cautiously so. I hope this one turns out to be worth watching. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay for Canadian actors like Graham Greene and Mia Kirshner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mia will have a particularly interesting role and styling in the show :)

      Delete
  8. Defiance sounds cool and it certainly looks pretty. I hope I won't have to wait too long to see it in Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we shall be praying for it, Lyndy :) Did you get any of the new shows this season down there?

      Delete
  9. Awesome spotlight, sweetie! Thank you for bringing all the pertinent details to our attention. Not to mention all the talent. This looks really amazing and I hope it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you liked it, Melsy, I liked the teaser trailer and I think Jaime will be my fave in the cast :)

      Delete
  10. I looked at that poster and it says "Play the game". Does this mean an actual game will be released as well? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it will be a multiplatform project, with a game as well.

      Delete
  11. Ohh, Defiance sounds crazy!!! I love shows like that ;) Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I watched Arrow and Beauty and Beast tv premieres last week - not bad and will have to remind myself to keep a tab on their schedule. Arrow guy is really ripped and handsome :-)

    I like the Defiance story line - will check it out when it comes out ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, Arrow is quite a hunk :) I still have in mind the poster for the show with his ripped pecs :)

      Delete
  13. Scifi has to have something special to draw me in. Not sure I see it here. But maybe. I always like to give new shows a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm not sure I buy Julie Benz in this role, but I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.