Tuesday, August 17, 2010

RUPERT PENRY JONES IS HOLLYWOOD SPY'S BEST BRITISH GENTLEMAN. NEW POLL: BEST BRITISH ACTRESSES

Oh, so our BEST BRITISH GENTLEMAN poll was officially super exciting with the war raging between Penry Jones and Purefoy fans who behaved as true British sports sending us almost 300 votes :) I don't think we've ever had such a close victory at the end of a poll. Two amazing gentlemen have lead the battle for the tittle, but Rupert Penry Jones won with 102 votes which
was just two votes more than James Purefoy got. Third place was left for Ewan McGregor (25%) with Colin Firth in the fourth spot (23%).

Back when I was planning this poll, I really thought Rupert Penry Jones would be an underdog, since his dashing charms and piercing charisma are known mostly to us who like to watch British television. But I'm more than happy that so many people appreciate his magnetic talent and his outstanding and warm presence shown in series such as "Spooks", "Casanova", "Whitechapel" or in films like "Four Feathers", "Match Point" and "Charlotte Gray" with Cate Blanchett in which he basically stole the show from Billy Crudup. I wish we would see him in some big Hollywood films, but I think he's personally not inclined to such career. Believe it or not, he'll be 40 this year, he's married and he once dated Kylie Minogue :)

James Purefoy is one of those actors who were simply born to play charming bad boys and elegant but naughty heroes. He always shines in period movies and epics "George and the Dragon", "Vanity Fair", "Blackbeard", "Solomon Kane", but we all remember him best in the role of his life as Mark Antony in the legendary TV series "Rome". In the future we shall watch him in some equally heroic and wonderful roles: he will be a brave knight in medieval epic "Ironclad", king Lot in epic series "Camelot", the captain of the kingdom of Helium's royal spaceship in "John Carter of Mars", brave lord Somerset in "Heaven and Earth"... He is still a candidate for James Bond for which he already auditioned back in the time of "Goldeneye". Before starring together as macho Roman heroes in "Rome", he and Kevin McKidd had played gay lovers in "Bedrooms and Hallways" :))


Now, before we go to the second part of British Gents poll in September, lets do the first part of YOUR FAVOURITE BRITISH ACTRESS poll and give lovely British ladies a chance to get your votes. Here are the actresses competing in the first round: her royal highness Judi Dench, Welsh queen Catherine Zeta Jones, Scottish princess Isla Fisher, the crown princess Emily Blunt, Gothic empress Helena Bonham Carter and queen of hearts Rachel Weisz. Vote on people, you have two weeks to give as many votes to these ladies as you like.

29 comments:

  1. I'd say it was the clash of two Titans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I've missed a lot over the last few days! Gotta say, I'm frickin stoked for Camelot and now William the Conqueror on Starz, Spartacus is absolutely amazing, so more is better. Cool additions to the cast of X-Men, but I'm still unimpressed with it (except for the eye candy, heh). And that Sinatra and Monroe film sounds dreadful. I'd rather bash my own skull in with an SUV. Such happy thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bryan, I must admit I agree with most of the things you've just said :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, but now we've moved on to cool poll. Favorite British actress? That one's easy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I missed that vote, darn it! But I would have voted for Rupert P-J all the way, but I guess he didn't need my vote!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Alex
    Alex, don't forget to drop by tomorrow, because your favourite British girl will be in my new post ;)

    @Phylly
    how can you miss a poll which lasts for two weeks???? :))

    ReplyDelete
  7. My vote automatically goes to Keira Knightley....
    But I'll be back tomorrow to give her proper support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. there's no Keira Knightley in my poll, Andrew :)))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so out of it. Here's where I stand. I've never heard of probably 70% of the actors and actresses you mention here. Actually I've never been much of a celebrity spotter. Probably if 1 of 98% of the celebrities knocked on my door and asked me to guess who they were, I'd probably have no idea.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  10. have to go for weisz- she's just so likeable!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad that Rupert won. He is a great actor and deserves more recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not on a winning team... but I stick by Ewan McGregor and I'll always be true to Helena Bonham Carter. The three of us will have a fantastic dinner, oh the conversation, even if no one else comes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm voting for Judy. She's not young n pretty but she's got talent ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Arlee
    and you also must bare in mind that although most of my readers are crossatlantic, I often write about British and Australian stars which are more popular outside USA, being stars here in Europe, in Britain ... Both Penry Jones and Purefoy are typical British actors so it's not unusual if you haven't heard of them in California :)

    @Vics
    she is truly beautiful and likable :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Sarah
    Rupert is amazing, and I agree that he deserves a worldwide fame and recognition :)

    @Robert
    count me in for that dinner as well :))

    @Lynda
    she is probably the best living actress in Britain, and I can't even list all of her roles I'm deeply in loved with :) And plus she is such an amazing person and a true sport. Like I said in the post she is her royal highness even without an official crown.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I forgot who i voted for, but I like both of these men so no qualms for me. Now if only they could both star in a romantic thriller together, that'd be awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now, that's a naughty idea I definitely support, Flixy :)))

    ReplyDelete
  18. Have to go with Rachel Weisz there. I wish she would be in more good movies so I'm happy she was recently added to the new Terrence Malick film.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I can't say I've ever seen a good Terrence Malick movie, but I absolutely adore Rachel Weisz and she might be a nice pair tandem with Ben Affleck.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Malick has a deliberate style that can be off-putting if you are not "used" to it. He is very highly regarded as a director though and being in his movie is something most Hollywood actors would do nearly anything for. Sean Penn once said "Give me a dollar and tell me where to show up” before being cast for The Thin Red Line.

    ReplyDelete
  21. yep, cute and sweet as a marshmallow :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a hard poll to choose from. British men are my weakness, after all, and I liked all of them. I voted for Colin Firth (how can I not love Mr. Darcy?) but RPJ is a handsome guy and great actor too.

    ReplyDelete
  23. yes, it's not difficult having British actors and actresses as one's weakness :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Kristin
    glad you like him.

    @Castor
    I'm not sure that Malick is overly popular among the critics. His movies are usually weak in storytelling, unfocused plotwise, bland and superficial in message, not to mention that they always lack a directorial and creative vision.
    When it comes to Penn, I wouldn't use him as a measure of quality. He was always overrated in America, thanks to his personal independent spirit which makes him look like an artist, event though he is not a great actor since he never gets into a role but plays himself. His approach to acting is very superficial. I respect only his political work but even there he is often rash, impulsive and biased.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm on a roll with these! How did I miss this wonderful post?!

    ReplyDelete
  26. you do know it's a mortal sin missing my posts and polls? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  27. LOL Hmmmm... time to brush up on my Hail Marys.

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.