Monday, April 25, 2011

HOLLYWOOD SPY'S SUMMER 2011 FILM GUIDE: SUPER HEROES, PIRATES, TRANSFORMERS, SMURFS, BARBARIANS AND APES!

The summer season in cinemas, which usually starts with May, is just around the corner, so let's take a quick look on the biggest movie treats which await us with the hot summer months. I must admit I find this cinematic summer rather boring and non creative. PS red letters are clickable links.
MAY - NORSE SUPER HEROES AGAINST PIRATES AND SF PRIESTS
May will bring us the long awaited super hero epic THOR from Kenneth Branagh in which Chris Hemsworth plays a powerful warrior from the mystical realm of Asgard, ruled by Anthony
Hopkins
, who comes down to Earth to stop the evil forces from invading Earth. Then there's also the visually breathtaking sf epic PRIEST in which Paul Bettany plays a futuristic priest who goes after the evil gang of vampires lead by Karl Urban which kidnapped his niece. If you're a fan of PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, the 4th part ON STRANGER TIDES comes in May too with Johnny Depp, Sam Claflin, Penelope Cruz and lots of mermaids. The end of May also brings KUNG FU PANDA back in the sequel, but if you're in the mood for profound
dramas you might check out THE TREE OF LIFE with Brad Pitt and THERE BE DRAGONS with Dougray Scott and Wes Bentley.

 JUNE - MUTANTS AGAINST GREEN LANTERN AND PENGUINS
June will definitely be the month of super heroes, first with X-MEN: FIRST CLASS with James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender, a retro look upon the youth of our favourite
mutants which will explain how Magneto and Professor Xavier became enemies and will also show us January Jones as White Queen, Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique and Nicholas Hoult as Beast, followed by mesmerizing GREEN LANTERN with Ryan Reynolds about a brotherhood of intergalactic warriors sworn to keep peace and justice wearing green rings which give them super powers. June will also bring us J.J.Abram's sf epic SUPER 8 done in a retro style about a mysterious alien force which threatens to destroy little town in Ohio and MR. POPPER'S
PENGUINS
in which Jim Carrey has a growing family of the flightless birds which he tries to train to perform in a traveling show.

 JULY - CAPTAIN AMERICA VS COWBOYS, ALIENS, HARRY PLOPPER AND TRANSFORMERS
July will be the month of the biggest blockbusters with CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER in which Chris Evans plays a super human  created for US army in WW2, COWBOYS
AND ALIENS in which Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford will have to lead both cowboys and Native Americans against aliens who plan to tame the Old West and enslave everyone. July will also bring two big sequels: TRANS FORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON in which Shia Labeouf and Josh Duhamel will use the help of powerful Autobots led by Optimus Prime against the evil Decepticons, who are determined to avenge their defeat from the first film. And there's also the epic finale of HARRY PLOPPER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS with the all-out war between forces of good and evil. July also brings two adorable
films FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS with Justin Timberlake and Mila Kunis, and ONE DAY with Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess, and also the China set epic drama SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN with Hugh Jackman.
AUGUST - CONAN, THE LOST SMURFS, NAZI CRIMINALS AND SOME APES
Known usually as the dumpster place for less potential summer flicks, August will bring us some Barbaric action and scantily clad ladies and muscular hunks in the new CONAN THE BARBARIAN with Jason Momoa, Rachel Nichols and Rose McGowan who will have to face the blue super power of THE SMURFS who are coming to the big screens lost in the middle of Central Park.
August will also bring some remakes and reboots: RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES with James Franco and FRIGHT NIGHT with Colin Farrell and Toni Collette in which a high school kid has to face a naughty and dashing vampire. We shall also watch THE DEBT with Sam Worthington and Helen Mirren, an action movie about agents who are trying to catch notorious Nazi war criminals.

44 comments:

  1. What do you mean IF you're a fan of pirates?!?

    Come on, now, there's some good stuff in there. James McElvoy in X-men, Cowboys and Aliens, Johnny Depp. Thor, Green Lantern, Captain America...okay, maybe they aren't Oscar contenders, but they look like typical fun summer movies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, Luanne, but you forget the most important thing - there are no historical or fantasy epics :((( Yours and mine favourite genre:(

    ReplyDelete
  3. so far, i'm definitely one of those waiting for Kungfu Panda & Thor, maybe a little of Pirates of the Caribbean as well. i really hope it won't be another one-man-show for Johnny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great wrap up!
    I'm most looking forward to Harry Plopper I mean POTTER! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait for X-Men! James McAvoy ROCKS. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Got to look forward to Pirates and Johnny Depp. :)

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that there isn't much of a dazzling selection for the Summer however I am so pumped for Kung Fu Panda! It better not let me down. I also can't wait for The Tree of Life. I feel like that one will blow me away. I'm already in love with the trailer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thorough rundown, Mr. Dezmond!

    Of the films you covered, I'm most looking forward to X-Men and Cowboys & Aliens. And I still must see Thor. I've read some good things.

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow, lots of big movies coming up :)
    Yay! (I have to wait a tad longer for many of these titles here in Oz, but that's ok. We'll get them eventually)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work, Dez. Lots of good stuff to see. Want to see Thor - he was my fave comic hero when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Levian
    Although the first part was a bit weak in the plot department, KUNG FU PANDA could be better now, since they've created lost of hilarious and adorable new characters :)

    @Kelly
    glad you liked it, Kells, and hope you'll enjoy PLOPPERMANIA even though I know I won't :PP

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Sam
    ah, here at HOLLYWOOD SPY we adore James McAvoy and his roles. He will be amazing as Professor X and Fassbender will be great as Magneto :)

    @Mason
    ah, I know you like Depp :)

    @Nicole
    PANDA could be quite hilarious, and it could score success since there aren't many other animated films in cinemas this summer for some reason

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Matty
    yep, I expect COWBOYS AND ALIENS to be a smash hit, even though I'm not attracted to watching it. But US audience will like it a lot. THOR should be good as well

    @Lynda
    well, I'm sure the films from Hollywood don't take much time to cross the ocean.

    @Michael
    THOR is super cool, it should be a good film having in mind the director, although I probably won't watch it due to the lead actress.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great summer movie guide!

    Nice poster for Thor, very dramatic. Of course, I'm really looking forward to Captain America, and not because of Chris Evans...but Richard Armitage. Glad to know about Snow Flower, looks interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. glad you liked it, Fabo :)
    Armitage is in CAPTAIN AMERICA? What a surprise, I didn't even know that :))))))
    SNOW FLOWER should be cool too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Debt is the only one on my list, although I think Friends With Benefits could be funny if I have extra mullah that week.

    I am interested in seeing In Thirty Minutes or Less too, which was filmed in my town! There was another one I saw a trailer for...I'll remember it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. The summer is looking good! Hope these movies are as good as they sound!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's going to be quite a summer starting off w/ Thor & I'm looking forward to those penguins & why not Cowboys & Aliens? But a 3D Conan? Wow, that should be fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great info there, Dez :) thx.

    I am looking forward for Super 8.

    I am not a superhero fan but I want to watch Thor because that movie brings good sign to my country's cinema. I HAVE TO GO TO THE CINEMA SOMEWHERE THIS MONTH...I feel like a drug addict that wanted a drug so bad.

    The last time I went to cinema was on January :( it's my stupid government with their ridiculous tax regulation'sfault

    ReplyDelete
  20. I have to say, I've seen some previews for Thor and it looks kinda interesting, even to me, and I'm not generally into that kind of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  21. and let that crazy summer movie season begin! I tell ya. I haven't decided if I think Thor's going to be dumb or not. And I saw a preview for TGL that cast the movie in a completely different light for me. But you know all everyone's waiting for is Harry~ :o) <3

    ReplyDelete
  22. THOR - probably will see.
    PRIEST - meh!
    PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN - number three bored me so... maybe.
    KUNG FU PANDA -Yes!
    THE TREE OF LIFE - Brad Pitt? I'm there!
    THERE BE DRAGONS - looks like a winner but I'm not a fan of sad true-ish stories.
    X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - James McAvoy = yummy! GREEN LANTERN - looks fun so probably
    SUPER 8 - keep seeing the trailer on IMDB and it looks good.
    MR. POPPER'S PENGUINS - nah!
    CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER - Yes!
    COWBOYS AND ALIENS - not sure.
    TRANS FORMERS: DARK OF THE MOON - Yes.
    HARRY PLOPPER AND THE DEATHLY HALLOWS - no.
    FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS - maybe.
    ONE DAY - chic flic? Not really for me. but my husband might make me.
    SNOW FLOWER AND THE SECRET FAN - me lovey the Jackman.
    CONAN THE BARBARIAN - maybe
    THE SMURFS - no.
    RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES - really? again? why?
    FRIGHT NIGHT - no
    THE DEBT - looks good

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like the Green Lantern poster, but still not sure about the CGI costume.

    Can't wait for Deathly Hallows part II! After that it will be the first time since the book series began in 1997 that people didn't have a Harry Potter film/book to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Vics
    nothing your system can't handle I'm sure :))

    @Jonathon
    never heard of that THIRTY MINUTES film, what is it about?

    @Liz
    it will be a long long summer :) Hope you will find at least a film or two to visit the cinema in the upcoming months.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @NAdir
    yep, when barbarians go 3D it must be a special event

    @Novroz
    ah, what can I tell you, my Indonesian sister, I don't have a cineplex at all in my city and it's the fifth biggest in my country :)

    @Allyson
    it could be a great film, but I have a strange feeling that the fanboys will try to destroy it with their negativism and their subjectivity.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Sup, Dez?

    Epic movie summer! Excited to get watching. Hopefully by then pre production will start on our movie.

    Did I mention--I love movies.

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Leigh
    ah, you're one of those Ploppermaniacs :) Never understood you people :PPP

    @Clarissa
    he he ... you really did the thorough evaluation here :) Yes, Pirates have been deadly boring so far. We love Jackman too :) You hubs likes romantic films and you don't ? :)

    @Adam
    I'm sure HOLLYWOOD will find some new saga to replace the PLOPPER series :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Jo
    hey, Jo, how come I can't reach your profile when I click on your avatar? I tried before too.
    I'm keeping cross for your movie, so that we have another epic one for next summer :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. DEZ,

    Based on the offerings this Summer, I will be checking out my fav, Johnny Depp in the POC Part 4. (my daughter and I have seen them all together, so this is definitely a must see)
    Thor - Yes!
    The Tree of Life, cause I’m a fan of Angie’s man.
    I can’t wait for X-Men: First Class - I’m a sucker for mutants!
    Green Lantern could be interesting!? We’ll see.
    Definitely Snow Flower and the Secret Man (we know why!)
    Okay, I’ll have to check out Conan - just because I’m an Arnold fan from way back and I want to see how this plays out in 3D with the new cast.

    Not a fan of Jim Carrey or Smurfs so I’ll be giving those a wide berth.

    I really enjoy the energy and effort you put into this site, Dez!
    Plus it’s in a shade of green that I really like! :-)

    Have a great day,
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  30. I loved the book Mr. Poppers Penguins. I sure hope they do it justice.

    ReplyDelete
  31. @Jenny
    he he it seems all my ladies like Depp :)
    We do like us some mutants, some Thor, some JAckman :)
    And thanks, glad you appreciate and like what HOLLYWOOD SPY has to offer ;)

    @Holly
    we shall keep our fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lots of superheroes for husband. Snowflower looks like my sort of thing and I'm looking forward to Harry Potter. Cowboys and Aliens.

    Saw a commercial for Priest during lunch today.

    ReplyDelete
  33. hope the trailer wasn't a bit too much for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Gotta have me some Depp, some Karl and Paul, some superheroes and some Autobots. I know T3 has Shia the Beef, but it was filmed here in Chicago so of course I have to check it.

    Snow Flower looks fantastic as does There Be Dragons. Excellent post, my dear. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. Yes, yes, a year would be unimaginable in our world without some Karl and Bettany :)
    Glad you liked the post, darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Thx for the summer guide Dezz! There might not be many creative films but there are plenty of entertaining ones. I really want to see X-Men First Class, Harry Potter -Yes, I know you don't like it, but to each his own LOL- and of course Captain America for obvious reasons....I'm dying to see Richard Armitage on the big screen... Can't wait! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Thanks for the info Dezzy, so which one are you looking forward to the most? I mean, if you can only watch three movies this Summer, which are your picks? For me, it'd be X-Men: First Class, HP 7 Part II and Cowboys & Aliens. I'm curious about Thor now since the reviews coming in have been good so far, and Capt. America to see Hugo Weaving + Richard Armitage.

    I hope THERE BE DRAGONS will be shown in the theaters where I live, that looks pretty good, too.

    ReplyDelete
  38. @Flixy
    PRIEST, THERE BE DRAGONS and FRIENDS WITH BENEFITS (I never skip anything Timberlake related :)) would be the only three films I'm really excited about, but I want to see GREEN LANTERN too and CONAN.

    @Summer
    Glad you liked the guide, Summer :) And I have nothing against PLOPPER films, I just can't stand those horrible amateur actors in it :) I mean the little ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Boring? My good man, the last HARRY POTTER is coming out, as well as CONAN, X-MEN, and a host of other can't-wait-to-see movies! :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Eh? really? where do you come from Dezz?
    I have been trying to find your about page...but couldn't find it,I am so not good with blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  41. @Emily
    he he you will have something to watch, Ems :)


    @Novroz
    you have my profile down in the left side bar :)
    I'm from Vojvodina, Central Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Hmmm...sorry to say this,but this is the first time I ever heard your country. This is the fun of blogging,we got to meet people from many countries :)

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.