Monday, January 10, 2011

DAVID AND "GOLIATH" IN A NEW EPIC. "WONDER WOMAN" TV SHOW ISN'T HAPPENING! NAOMI HARRIS TO JOIN SF EPIC "THE DARK TOWER"? ADORABLE POSTERS FOR "RIO"!

Ah, terrible news people! We won't be seeing a WONDER WOMAN TV show, after all. Although David E. Kelley tried to sell the possible show to all major TV networks they have all rejected it according to "MovieWeb". Fox didn't find it suitable for its programme,
ABC
rejected it because they are already planning HULK TV show, while CW thought it was too expensive for them. NBC and CBS both also passed on the project :( So, no WONDER WOMAN for us, at least for now.

While Javier Bardem and Viggo Mortensen are fighting for the lead role in Ron Howard's huge adaptation of Stephen King's sf epic THE DARK TOWER, we have the first candidate for the female lead as well: Naomie Harris, the hilarious Tia Dalma from PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, might play Susannah Dean, a wheelchair-bound amputee who suffers
from multiple-personality disorder and becomes a member of Roland Deschain's group known as the Ka-tet.

It seems that myths, epics and fairy tales are finally coming back to Hollywood, and Relativity Media is entering that arena with their take on GOLIATH. They have hired Scott Derrickson (THE EXORCISM OF EMILY ROSE) to make a 300 style adaptation of the famous Bible story which follows a young Shepard named David who is set on an epic chase to save his own life and the lives of his people when the fierce warrior Goliath begins tracking down a foretold king of the Israelites. David and Goliath will battle in the climax as foretold by the original tale.

Check out two absolutely adorable posters from RIO, an animated film from the authors of ICE AGE, which comes out this April with the voices from Anne Hathaway, Neil Patrick Harris,
Rodrigo Santoro... Set in the magnificent city of Rio de Janeiro and the lush rainforest of Brazil, the comedy-adventure centers on Blu, a rare macaw who thinks he is the last of his kind. When Blu discovers there's another, and that she's a she, he leaves the comforts of his cage in small town Minnesota and heads to Rio. But it's far from love at first sight between the domesticated and flight-challenged Blu and the fiercely independent, high-flying female, Jewel. Unexpectedly thrown together, they embark on an adventure of a lifetime, where they learn about friendship, love, courage, and being open to life's many wonders. 

28 comments:

  1. Nooo :( I was really looking forward to wonder woman :/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was too, but the producer might try again at some better moment :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. saw the trailer for that Rio, and wasn't much impressed. I'm surprised a DEK show was rejected... but I'm sure it's b/c--what's wrong w/WW'S legs??? ;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. It will be interesting to see Naomi Harris in THE DARK TOWER, if she gets the part. I loved her in PIRATES. She has a LOT of talent.

    I'm still secretly hoping Viggo Mortensen gets the male lead. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would to see Dark Tower as a movie, only if done right. Stephen king should have a role because later on in the books he is in it. That would be cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooo!!! Sexist jerks at the networks. For some reason network execs still think women can't be successful SH and I don't understand this. Look at Buffy and Xena. Then again the film industry thinks women can't carry an action flick. We get relegated to hero support network.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised Wonder Woman didn't make the cut with all of the other adventure series making a come back. Cute posters.

    Mason
    Thoughts in Progress

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh, why focus on Goliath?? I'd rather see a film focused on King David personally, now that's a Biblical story I'd love to see.

    That's too bad about Wonder Woman, we need more female superhero flicks in Hollywood!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Naomi will look nice in Dark Tower!
    Hopefully the creators of Wonder Woman pursue cable channels next. Some of the best shows (like Psych) are on cable/satelite channels and doing very well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. DARK TOWER and GOLIATH sound pretty cool. I like to hear stories told from a different point of view than we are accustomed to hearing, but from your synopsis it sounds like GOLIATH will be a traditional take on the old story, which is good too.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  11. NPH!!!!! rio sounds cute!
    had you heard of THE CAPE?? i can't remember with all the superhero news you've given us... but my hubs was watching that pilot last night and it was pretty cute... predictable, but cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son has seen the trailer to Rio and is dying for me to take him when it comes out here. I'll think about it. Still not a theatre-goer.

    CD

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm actually glad to see the Wonder Woman TV show cancelled. Bear with me. Since they seemed intent on casting a diminutive (aka every anorexic brunette in Hollywood) woman, I was not enthused to see it. Whether Hollywood likes it or not, WW is supposed to be a AMAZONIAN princess. In other words, she's supposed to be tall, extremely buff, and impressive. Chyna would have been a great choice (actually, I was hoping the rumors of her being She-Hulk would pan out, but no...), but I have no idea who would fit best these days. Maybe it's the same problem that plagues Superman movies. Christopher Reeve ruined the role for everyone following, much as Linda Carter has for WW.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A Hulk show over Wonder Woman? I've always wanted to play Wonder Woman. Now I'll never have the chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @Leigh
    yep, RIO trailer which I posted some time last year, wasn't overly exciting, hope the new one will be better.

    @Emily
    ah, I've seen so far that Viggo has a lot of lady fans among my readers :))

    @JAccsy
    well, there will be three movies and two seasons of show, and I didn't know King's in the story as well. That's very interesting!

    @Melissa
    well, although I don't like the fact, but it's true that female heroes do not attract people to cinemas. Look at Angelina Jolie, who is the only one getting major roles in commercial films and she constantly has flops. Only some of the romantic actresses like Bullock and Aniston can bring some cash to studios :(

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Masy
    I'm guessing Kelley's vision wasn't that great, maybe it will be better for us to wait for some better approach to WW.

    @Flixy
    actually some time last winter I did a story on an epic about King David which will be an adaptation of a new historical novel. I forgot the name, LION OF WAR or something like that.

    @Lisa
    it is cute :)

    @Alex
    they could try cable, but I'm guessing the show is too expensive for a cable TV.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Arlee
    glad you finally like some of the upcoming projects :PP

    @Vics
    yes, I've posted a trailer and some pictures for THE CAPE last summer, you know your spy is always ahead of the latest gossips :)

    @Clarissa
    oh, but you must take him, it's not like he wants to see TWILIGHT or TRANSFORMERS :)

    @Eric
    I agree with you in a certain way. I also don't want some totally unknown skinny model girl as WW, but I don't want a muscular one either. Just someone curvaceous and charismatic and wise looking :) I agree of Reeve ruining the SUPERMAN for me at least :)

    @Kelly
    I've also always wanted you to play WW darling :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That drawing of Wonder Woman is a little disturbing. And that second chick looks likes she has a mustache. Can you tell I'm having a bad day?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh really Dez? That'd be so cool if it were true. My hubby and I were talking about it yesterday why Hollywood hasn't adapted the amazing story of King David. I'll have to search for that old post of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Shame about Wonder Woman. I love the posters for RIO though :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. @MAtthew
    yep, you're having a bad day :))) What's happened? Or is it just Monday ;)

    @Flixy
    yep, it's a new historical novel,or the first part of a saga which will focus on some of the famous rulers in history and David is the first one. If I remember correctly the rights for the film for sold even before the book has been published.

    ReplyDelete
  22. those are some charming posters, aren't hey, Lyndylove? :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Dezzy - So looking forward to Dark Tower. Naomi Harris is a hottie!

    And, I love Anne H and NPH, so Rio sounds like a hit to moi! =D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Glad you like the news today, RaShelle ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lame! I want Wonder Woman! That would be infinitely cooler than Hulk TV. Hmph.

    ReplyDelete
  26. A 300 style adaptation of a Bible story sounds pretty damn epic. Looking forward to that one :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Rosie
    I want WW too! Lets start some riots!

    @Jamie
    and we do like everything that is epic in 300 style :)

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.