Sunday, April 22, 2012

HOLLYWOOD SPY'S EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH TREVOR MORRIS, THE COMPOSER FROM "IMMORTALS", "THE TUDORS", "THE BORGIAS", "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN", "THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH"!

I'm sure that all of you are huge fans of famous epic TV shows such as THE TUDORS, THE BORGIAS, THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH, and today, here at HOLLYWOOD SPY we have an exclusive and lovely talk with one of world's greatest composers, Trevor Morris, the man who composed the
amazing music in those shows weaving emotions and drama into his magnificent scores. Beside scoring music for the shows, he also worked on the music for huge cinematic blockbusters from IMMORTALS to PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL and DEAD MAN'S CHEST and THE ISLAND.

DEZZ The refined sensuality, deep passion and profound understanding of the message that they should convey is what marks the scores and musical themes you did for so many epic shows and films. The listeners get an impression that you write with your heart not with your fingers. How much emotions does it take to write such masterpieces? You've said once that you have to go deep not just into the story but also into the characters as well while composing.

TREVOR It takes a lot of emotional dedication to get that emotion out, at least for me. I'm sure some composers can detach the two, but for me the verisimilitude comes from me feeling going in what comes out.

DEZZ Probably the most legendary epic series ever THE TUDORS was one of the projects that made you famous. How was it working on the show, and are you aware that millions of people consider the main theme of the show one of the most enchanting pieces ever? You won an Emmy for it!

TREVOR Thank you, I am proud of that one, it was a great ride, I was sorry to see it end, but like a good friend, you're sorry to see them leave, but you are left more enriched from having spent time with them.

DEZZ You've also worked on THE BORGIAS and THE PILLARS OF THE EARTH, creating stunning music for both shows and giving both of the projects memorable opening themes. What are your experiences from those shows? Will you work on WORLD WITHOUT END, sequel to PILLARS?

TREVOR I am working on the final episode of "The Borgias" as we speak, it continues to get richer and richer. Its another amazing gift of a project that has come my way, for which I am very grateful.
I will not be scoring "World Without End", they have a new director who has a relationship with his composer, and I have enormous respect for those relationships.

DEZZ  Speaking of inspiring relationships, you also worked on last year's worldwide epic blockbuster IMMORTALS. Was it a delight
working with Tarsem? I can imagine how his visual genius is a magnificent treat and inspiration for costume and set designers and composers he works with.

TREVOR Tarsem was amazing, amazingly supportive of me, and just a great human being. It was likely the best experience of my career in every possible way.

DEZZ  When it comes to films, beside IMMORTALS, you did music for PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN, KING ARTHUR, TEARS OF THE SUN, THE LAST SAMURAI, SHARK TALE, THE ISLAND, THE SCORPION KING, HILLS HAVE EYES... What's the difference between composing for films and shows? Do you compose after the film is done, or before you even see it?

TREVOR There isn't a lot of difference to me in how I approach. The medium is different, so you have to be aware of that. But I approach them in very similar ways. Composers always work to the finished picture (or nearly finished picture).
DEZZ  Since you often work on historical shows and films, where do you find the inspiration for creating a music that belongs to a long past era, where do you find all the authentic instruments, and what kind of research does all that involve and require? Which instruments do you play yourself?

TREVOR Its funny that I am known as the Historical drama guy, since I never sought out to be that. Be that as it may I am grateful for it. I play a lot of instruments badly (Dulcimers, stuff like that). But mostly it lives in my computer, or I program it on piano keyboard (which is my instrument) and have it replaced by a real musician. I'm never bound by historical correctness, so I just use whatever instruments speak to me, have a dramatic cinematic sense. It matters not if it was "of the time" or not.

DEZZ You were born in the same town as famous Oscar winning director Paul Haggis (CRASH). Any chances of you two working together? Which directors, musicians and artists would you like to work with in the future. Who are your own idols from the business? We know that you worked with Hans Zimmer, Jerry Bruckheimer, Neil Jordan, Ridley Scott...

TREVOR I've never met Paul, but I would love to work with him. I think he's one of the best writers we have (and director too obviously). I've worked with the
Scott brothers as producers on "The Pillars of the Earth". But to compose for either of them as directors would be a career dream come true. They are my kind of movie makers, I'm a huge huge fan.

DEZZ How does it feel being an inspiration and role model to so many musicians and aspiring composers around the world? How does it feel when you know that your work has touched millions of people, who cried, laughed, loved, dreamed with your music? Are you aware of the impact which you as a man and an artist have on this big world? Do you feel like you've fulfilled your mission?

TREVOR My humble Canadian side can't allow me to think that way, but I appreciate you saying it. It's the project that reaches the world, and music goes along for the ride. There is no main title music for "The Tudors", without "The Tudors", if you know what I mean. Its certainly immensely gratifying to know my music has reached so many corners of the world, and that feeling is never lost on me.
It makes me feel connected in some small way to the composer heroes I looked up to as kid, like John Williams and Jerry Goldsmith and James Howard. Knowing how far and how deep their music reaches, if I can channel even a small part of that mojo, I am winning.

DEZZ Trust me, Trevor, you've got the mojo :) Could I ask you what will you be working on in the future? Some new projects after THE BORGIAS?
TREVOR Feature film "Fire with Fire" (a film about a fireman who takes an unexpected course of action when he's threatened by a man who he's been ordered to testify against, with Bruce Willis and Josh Duhamel) and then some well earned time off.

DEZZ Being such a dashing hunk that you are :), have you ever used your talents to seduce someone with a song written specially for them, or serenading them? :) I know that you have a beautiful wife.

TREVOR You'll have to ask my wife about that one.

DEZZ Trevor, I must thank you for sharing your answers with the readers of HOLLYWOOD SPY.  We will be following your future career with great interest and a lot of cheering from our side :) Click to visit Trevor Morris' official site!

45 comments:

  1. Wow he has done a ton and Canadian too, the cat likes that..haha...The Island was the only movie I hated out of the ones he has done, not because of him, as the movie was just plain bad. Doing another Willis pic too, never knew there was a firefighter one coming due. And see Haggis once more you brought up. Due South is haunting you..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew you would admire Trevor's Canadian side, Cat :)
      Ah, you and your DUE SOUTH :)

      Delete
    2. haha how can you not like a deaf wolf?

      Delete
    3. he was deaf? :) Ah, the trivia you remember.....

      Delete
    4. I remember it all, as watched many a time at my hall

      Delete
    5. hope you watched all of Trevor's shows too!

      Delete
  2. Dezzy, this was brilliant! Great question and better answers, Trevor seems to be such a lovely man. Good job!!
    Pat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Patsy! He does seem like a lovely man and I'm glad you enjoyed his answers!

      Delete
  3. I am one of the millions of people whom you have touched with your beautiful Music. My very favourite soundtrack is the one from "The Tudors". You've certainly got the Mojo!
    Regards from a Mexican fan! :)
    Summer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you see, I've told him he has touched millions and he is being modest :)
      I was amazed and touched by many young composers who wrote beautiful comments under Trevor's videos at YouTube about him being a huge inspiration for them.

      Delete
  4. His music is an inspiration for real! Plus, Pirates is one of the few songs I can play on the piano. Score! (Haha, no pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. he is truly an inspirational artist, Cassie!

      Delete
  5. So that's the name behind all this amazing music..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fabulous interview! Trevor's music is particularly amazing and powerful and I love listening to it in the background while I write.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you liked the interview, Lyndy! And it's great that his music helps you in your writing.

      Delete
  7. Brilliant! Well done! He is an amazing composer and deserves all the credit in the world. Great job Dezzy! Outstanding Q & A

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Angela, glad you liked what Trevor told us :)

      Delete
  8. Oh, wonderful interview. I know his work well. Love the theme music for all those shows and movies. The music is so full of energy and high drama! Thank you both for the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Luanne! Trevor's music really is memorable, I still remember every beat of THE TUDORS theme song years after the show finished.

      Delete
  9. Another great interview Dezz. Always wonderful to find out about the man behind the music. I think that for any film or television show the music is such a key element and it can touch us emotionally in a special way. Trevor also seems such an easy going guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Fabo! Trevor definitely knows how to touch us emotionally with his music! And he is very lovely and easy-going!

      Delete
  10. Dezz, you have some of the best interviews I have ever read. Trevor's music is just amazing and breathtaking. He is a true musical genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. now, that is amazing to hear, my dear!
      Trevor sure is a genius! I'm sure he will enjoy reading all of these lovely comments :)

      Delete
  11. Fantastic interview, as always. Excellent answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Joshie, glad you loved Trevor's answers!

      Delete
  12. Free Spirit Mom (Heleen)April 22, 2012 at 2:30 PM

    Hi Trevor and Dez,I loved reading your intervieuw!Great job!Fantastic to learn more about the man behind the beautifull music
    I'm still playing pirates off the caribean music over and over again,one of my nr.1 favorites.
    I know the music by heart,do not need the sheetmusic :-)we played the music often too with my orchestra,amazing drumparts and beautifull melodie's taking over by the different instruments in the orchestra.
    Yes I really loved this intervieuw,because I love music so much.thank you both <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Heleen, glad you enjoyed the interview!
      Trevor worked on one part of PIRATES music as far as I know, but that film did have amazing music from an Oscar winning composer.

      Delete
  13. It's nice to be able to put a name to a face and more importantly, a name to a film -- nice interview! I wasn't familiar with Trevor Morris but am familiar with The Tudors and those Pirates of the Caribbean movies, so this was cool to read. I especially like the part where he talked about the show ending being like losing a friend and focusing on the times spent together rather than being sad about the loss of something.

    I watched some previews for "The Tudors" back when it was on Showtime but never had that channel, so it kinda wasn't on my radar much...until it started winning awards and getting lots of buzz. Maybe I can try to get it on Netflix or somewhere, just to check it out and see what all of the fuss/excitement surrounding that is about :)

    "Immortals," however, is another story. The movie trailer looked kinda fake, with forced action and drama....at least when I saw it in the movie theater, I think. Maybe it was a combination of the editing and acting performances, I don't know, but my thoughts were "I'll pass!" after it played in the big screen. Now maybe "Immortals" is a good movie. Or, maybe it isn't.

    I just never gave it the time of day, based on not liking the trailer -- it was as if the producers went "Hey, let's just throw a whole bunch of stuff in there and overload audiences with as much as possible in 2 minutes or less, focusing on more action and fancy special effects than information. Yeah, that'll get 'em to the theater!" --- Nope, not me! LOL.

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, you can imagine how tough it is, since Trevor works for weeks or even months on these projects which probably take a lot of emotional and creative input.
      You will love THE TUDORS, especially the first two seasons.
      IMMORTALS is amazing film, what you've seen in the trailer is Tarsem's artistic style, he is the biggest visual genius out there, and his films should never be taken as trashy or something, because he is not like that. He is above most of the directors working today in Hollywood.

      Delete
  14. great interview... he's a really talented guy

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an awesome post!!! I love the interview. You asked great questions ;) I love all the movies he was in, that I have seen. I have not seen The Scorpian King or The Last Sammurai, but now I'm even more intrigued to watch ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Jaxy, that means a lot to me :)
      Trevor did just one of the SCORPION KING films, if I remember correctly, and there are three methinks :)

      Delete
  16. Very nice interview Dezmond...and the trailer links showcase some awesome songs ~ Thanks for featuring him ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks, Grace, glad you like it :) and glad you liked the amazing songs!

      Delete
  17. Interesting interview, Dez. I've always loved that word: verisimilitude. It should be the most important word in the movie business. When I go and see a movie at our local theater, the first thing I hope is for the score to be original, appropriate and catchy. And it should never dictate motions. My favorite scores are Predator 1, Terminator 2 and Back to the Future. I know, old stuff, but memorable. I think Zemeckis even asked Silvestri to make the movie sound big and important. I think he pulled it off, too. And when it comes to series, I can only imagine how difficult it must be to compose something that doesn't get to be a little dull after a few episodes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My fave composer is Vangelis (loved what he did in ALEXANDER, and Roxanne's Veil played by Vanessa Mae is one of the most touching epic movie scores ever). I also loved KING ARTHUR (especially Moya Brennan's BREAK THE ICE) and KINGDOM OF HEAVEN (especially LIGHT OF LIFE by Natacha Atlas). I'm actually thinking of making a post on best epic scores, since I adore those.

      Delete
  18. Great interview Dezz. I always wonder how the 'music people' got their inspiration.

    Thank you for including the video. The music score on that Borgias Video is great...plus it makes me want to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad you liked it, Novia! You might like BORGIAS since they are not as explicit as SPARTACUS and TUDORS.

      Delete
    2. Aha...now you're talking ;:
      I will see if I can find the DVD...plus I love Jeremy Iron's voice

      Delete
  19. I'm trying to remember where I was when you did this one. How did I miss it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you were probably doing some shenanigans, dahlink :P

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.