Monday, April 2, 2012

TV NEWS: THANDIE NEWTON IS "ROGUE"! JENNA ELFMAN IN "1600 PENN"! JAIME PRESSLY IN "BAD GIRLS"! CHAD MICHAEL MURRAY IN "SCRUPLES"! JEREMY PIVEN IS "MR. SELFRIDGE"! JON HAMM IN "RONNA & BEVERLY"

Since we are experiencing a very slow period in the film news department, people, I shall have to regale you today with some updates and news from the world of television, but tomorrow you can expect some great
posters from GAME OF THRONES :)
It seems that the trend of movie stars moving to TV continues, so after Ashley Judd, Hugh Dancy, Dustin Hoffman, Jim Caviezel, Patrick Wilson another cinematic face is moving into the small screens: gorgeous Thandi Newton from MISSION IMPOSSIBLE and CRASH will take the lead in DirectTV drama ROGUE according to "Digital Spy". The ten part thriller will see her playing an undercover cop who pursues a gangster when her son is killed in a drive-by shooting. As you remember Thandie does already have experience on TV since she played Noah Wyle's girlfriend in ER in deeply touching episodes in which he was working as a doctor in Africa. I myself remember those episodes as the best ones in the show.
NBC'S NEW COMEDIES
One of the beloved TV comedians Jenna Elfman, whom we still mostly remember as charmingly crazy lady from DHARMA AND
GREG, will go sitcom again. She has joined NBC's pilot 1600 PENN, written by former Obama speechwriter Jon Lovett, which will focus on the US President (Bill Pullman) and his dysfunctional family. "TVLine" says Elfman will play the First Lady. You remember, from HOLLYWOOD SPY's spotlight on 2012/2013 pilots that NBC also has new sitcoms from Roseanne Barr (DOWNWARDLY MOBILE) and from Matthew Perry (GO ON).
Speaking of NBC, another gorgeous blonde will get some work in their new season: sexy Jaime Pressly has taken the lead role in an utterly crazy new comedy show BAD GIRLS, in which, according to "Deadline" she will play prison warden Melinda a "sexy, ominous woman with a sadistic streak". The show is a remake of a British programme which followed the inmates and officers in a women's prison.
ABC GOES FASHION AND SF
ABC always has to have some glamorous drama, and their new
season will bring us SCRUPLES, a lavish show set in the fashion world which will follow wealthy and powerful designer Wilhelmina 'Billy' Hunnewell Winthrop played by beautiful Claire Forlani. She will have two hunks to keep her company in the cast: Chad Michael Murray and Boris Kojoe.
ABC will also see amazing Brian Cox (TROY, RISE OF THE PLANET OF THE APES) in their new fantasy pilot GOTHAM, in which Megan Ketch plays an NYPD detective who discovers a magical world that exists within New York. Cox will play the owner of a simple clock shop, who is entrusted with maintaining order in the secret world.

NEW BRITISH SHOWS
Over at Sky Atlantic they will have something utterly crazy and reminiscent of silly British humour from ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS: BRIDESMAID's director Paul Feig is helming their RONNA AND BEVERLY show, a mock talkshow featuring two forthright, middle-aged Jewish American mothers as hosts played by American writers and performers Jessica Chaffin and Jamie Denbo. They will have real celebrity guests, the first being Jon Hamm from MAD MEN, who will be asked some horrid and humiliating questions in the pilot :)
Over at ITV they will have MR. SELFRIDGE show, in which Jeremy Piven will play the flamboyant and visionary American entrepreneur, Harry Gordon Selfridge who launched the famous London department store "Selfridge’s". "Digital Spy" reports that the show is set in 1909 and chronicles Harry’s effort to make shopping as thrilling as sex for the era’s newly-empowered women. Frances O'Connor will also star in ten episodes of the show.

47 comments:

  1. Jaime Pressly is my secret indulgence...I just love anything with her in lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she said she won't be coming back to NBC after they've cancelled MY NAME IS EARL, but she came back with her tail between her legs since I HATE MY TEENAGE DAUGHTER proved to be a flop :)

      Delete
  2. Ha! Love that picture of Jon Hamm. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew ladies would love that one :) Nice thighs, yes? :)

      Delete
  3. A women's prison as a comedy, hmmm that should be umm interesting. Tons just keep going to TV, I suppose it is a steady gig though. And shopping as thrilling as sex, hmmm that might not be as much of a struggle for women..haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. crazily interesting :) wonder if Lady Gaga will get the party with her Honey B?
      Most polls do show that shopping is more thrilling to ladies than sex :)

      Delete
    2. Yeah most polls do. Crappy shopping is ruining everything..haha

      Delete
    3. well, if they're shopping for sexy underwear, I'm sure the cat doesn't complain :)

      Delete
  4. I hope poor Matthew Perry is successful this time around. I really like him as a comedian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was my fave in FRIENDS next to Phoebe and Monica :) Love him heaps!

      Delete
    2. Finally! Someone else who loved Phoebe too!! Hooray! She just cracked me up.

      Delete
    3. I myself am a mix of Monica's domestic freakiness and cooking skills and Chandler's humour, with Ross's geekiness and a touch of Phoebe's craziness :)
      Joey was the only one I couldn't stand.
      And Smelly Cat is my anthem :)

      Delete
  5. Mwahahaha... that photo of Jon Hamm had me in stitches Dezzy!!

    The trend of movie actors doing TV seem to continue to rise. Btw, miss Newton is just so gorgeous. Her skin is absolutely flawless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew somebody would like the pic :)
      Thandie is gorgeous, probably a bit photoshopped, but still very gorgeous

      Delete
    2. Yes certainly photoshopped, but I do think she has nice, olive skin in real life.

      Delete
    3. indeed she does, did you know that she is actually an African princess? Her mother was from a noble tribal family from Somalia or one of the African acountries, I forgot which one.

      Delete
  6. thandie newton is a true talent and beauty. those episodes of er were just- wow. straight to the heart, you know.
    not sure i'll watch her new thing, but i wish her the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved those episodes of ER. I generally don't watch law, medical and crime shows, but ER was something else. There were a few really over the top seasons, like the one when that bad doctor was killed by a helicopter falling on his head and Noah in Africa... and the episodes with Alex Kingston and Enthony Edwards...

      Delete
  7. Chad Michael Murray is still alive? Good thing I follow you! I would have never known ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Thandie. Great actress.

    I've been watching more comedy. Maybe I'll DVR some of the new shows.

    I thought Scruples sounded familiar. It's from the Judith Krantz novel. I read her stuff in high school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A comedy about the US President, sounds like reality television to me. And please someone make Roseanne go away, I will not watch her on anything.

    The British comedies look promising though. Ronna And Beverly, two Jewish mothers with a talk show, that has potential to be very funny. I hope it's spontaneous where the guests don't have a clue of what they're in for like with Graham Norton and The Kumars. Mr. Selfridge also looks really good. I love period pieces and the idea of making shopping a sexual experience for women, well that did pan out rather well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseanne is a strange anomaly in the galaxy :)
      Oh, Kumars, I watched that a few times and was so embarrassed instead of the guests :) I loved Dawn French and Jennifer Saunders when they did such things :)

      Delete
    2. French and Saunders are such a perfect comedy team. Barr and Arnold, well not so much.

      Delete
    3. I don't think anything cracks me up as French and Saunders :)
      Here in Serbia, my generation grew up on ALO, ALO, ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES, BLACK ADDER and similar British shows instead of the American ones which came later on.

      Delete
  10. That pic of Jaime Pressly is sooo photoshopped...at least that's what I'd like to think to make me feel better about myself ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. methinks she is naturally stunning, since I've seen tones of her flawless pics, she's one of the stars who almost don't have a bad photo day :)

      Delete
  11. Gotham is sounding more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That picture of Jon Hamm is just so compelling. I keep waiting for him to turn over. LOL ;)

    I love the sound of many of these shows and yes, Thandie on ER was just very touching. I loved her character with Wylie's Dr. Carter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so that you could kick him in the groin? :)

      Those episodes of ER were the best of TV! And we also loved her as Lady Vako in RIDDICK :)

      Delete
  13. Thanks for the Hamm Bunny! LOL

    Would love to see the interview in that Ronna and Beverly show, with the bunny costume ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lost my comment. Loved Dharma and Greg in the day.

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey, Denise, haven't seen you in ages, hope you're well and fine :)

      Delete
  15. Thandie is so pretty! I can't wait to check out some of the shows you've talked about here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. probably the prettiest of the black actresses

      Delete
  16. I couldn't see Jenna Elfman playing a serious role like the First Lady. However, if dysfunction is thy name, then the show and role is perfect for her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thandie's TV series sounds great. I will wait for that one...plus only 10 episodes is always a bless (I am beginning to avoid looooooong episodes TVshows)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, that's a nice trend having ten or 15 episodes shows!

      Delete
    2. This kind of short series (10 - 15 episodes) is the reason why I love Japanese TV Series (usually called as Dorama)...so it's a trend in the Hollywood now? ;)

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.