Tuesday, December 6, 2011

THRILLING TRAILER FOR GUY PEARCE'S SF "LOCKOUT"! "STARSHIP TROOPERS" GETTING A REMAKE? "HOW TO LIVE SAFELY IN A SCIENCE FICTIONAL UNIVERSE" FILM! FELICITY JONES IS RALPH FIENNES' "THE INVISIBLE WOMAN"

Well, since pretty much everything is getting a remake in Hollywood, why not STARSHIP TROOPERS too? According to "NY Magazine", the writers of X-MEN: FIRST CLASS have been hired to pen the script for the remake of Paul Verhoeven's sf classic
from the 90's. As you probably remember, the original film was quite a successful satire on the militarism and colonialism in modern society based on the books by Robert Heinlein. The book itself was rather controversial describing a futuristic society in which the only way to reach a privileged citizen status is to join the army and go fighting some alien bugs around the universe. Unlike the book, which also had traces of fascism and racism, the film was more successful in ridiculing and mocking modern society's tendency to take wars and killings for granted. The image in the post is the cover of the Serbian edition which yours truly translated last winter.

HOLLYWOOD SPY HEADLINES
According to "The Hollywood Reporter" famous director Chris Columbus has bought the rights for the film adaptation of novel HOW TO LIVE SAFELY IN A SCIENCE FICTIONAL UNIVERSE by Charles Yu. The story in this book revolves
around Charles Yu, a time travel machine repairman who has spent the past ten years spanning the decades in search of his father. When he falls into a potentially disastrous time loop, he must find a way to save the entire universe. I've recently mentioned that Ralph Fiennes is preparing THE INVISIBLE WOMAN, but it's not what you think :) It's a story of Charles Dickens' mistress who will now be played by Felicity Jones. Based on the book by Claire Tomalin, the film will depict the secret affair between Charles Dickens and Nelly Ternan. Ralph Fiennes will take the lead role and will also direct the period movie.

The first trailer for new sf film LOCKOUT has been released today. As you remember from HOLLYWOOD SPY's previous reports, the film produced by famous Luc Besson was shot last winter in Serbia and the story is set in outer space with Guy Pearce playing a man wrongly convicted of conspiracy to commit espionage against the U.S. He is offered his freedom if he can rescue the president's daughter (Maggie Grace) who is held hostage in an
outer space prison that orbits 50 miles above the earth and is home to 500 of the most dangerous violent criminals on the planet who have taken it over. The film has two directors - Stephen St. Leger and James Mather, and is produced by Besson's "Europa Corp" studio, while their partner in Serbia is "Work In Progress" company which has worked on Ralph Fiennes' movie CORIOLANUS and THE BROTHERS BLOOM with Rachel Weisz and Adrien Brody which were also shot in Serbia. The budget of the film was around $30 million.

I had thought I wouldn't run for the second year in TheMovie411BlogAwards, which attracted hundreds of blogs last year, because I wanted to leave the arena for other fighters, but they've informed me people have still been voting for me this year too, so please be charming as you are and pop over there and vote for HOLLYWOOD SPY in Best Gossip and Gold Blog categories :) You can vote till December 18th! Thank you, dear people!

42 comments:

  1. Aarrggh, not a Starship Troopers remake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was bound to happen, Ricks, it was bound to happen :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I've got a documentary about Dicken's life in my Netflix queue. I might like The Invisible Woman.

    And I voted for you...twice! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha never surprises me any more. No remake is needed what so ever, but there goes Hollywood with their great originality again. Pathetic.

    Tried to vote but the stupid thing won't let me, will try again in a bit. Just keeps loading the homepage and that's it. I blame error 503..haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. it seems he had an interesting one :) And keep on voting, Luanne dearest, Dezzy loves ya!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pat
    ah, would you think the same about GARFIELD remake, Pat the Cat?:P
    Damn, Error 503, it's even worse than Error 501 :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lockout doesn't look like anything special to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm...I'm not so sure I can handle a starship troopers re-make!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhhh Starship Troopers. My brother made me watch it over and over and over...in other words, I'm not up for a remake, lol.

    We've got your back at the blog awards. Just voted! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. "The Invisible Woman" will really highlight Victorian hypocrisy, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You must have been totally stoked to get that translating job. How cool is it to contribute to your language in such a way? You been holding out on me my brother - you are a bigger deal that I thought possible.

    I too hate movie and TV remakes. They are so rarely sucessful. You would think that in a age where there are so many NEW stories to tell they would give us something fresh.

    Before one piece of film is shot the movie is already handicapped by our often fond memories of the original film.

    One of the rare exceptional remakes for me were 'Death Race' and 'Death Race 2' - both are good action movies and nothing like the original 'Deathrace 2000'.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Dezz - Ho, Ho, Ho - I like the festive holiday theme here at Hollywood Spy - and you look so cute in your matching outfit.

    Re the post - I'll be looking forward to Lockout - love all that SF stuff!

    As always...informative and fun!

    Cheers, Jenny
    PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Personally I love the idea of How to live safely in a science fiction universe... that is a freekin great idea for a movie. Can we somehow get Bill Murray to be the repair guy?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've heard decent things about the original Starship Troopers. Hopefully the remake will be just as good if not better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lockout looks good but Starship Troopers...was I the only one who thought it was just OK?

    ReplyDelete
  16. A remake of starship troopers? Wow. I wonder if it's going for cheese this time? I hope not.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am liking LOCK-OUT... Looks like one for me...

    My vote is cast Dezzy, that is a given!!

    Tell me how do I get my site in these awards? I haven't got a clue

    ReplyDelete
  18. ooh! your starship troopers cover is supercool!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the news, and I'm on my way to vote...

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the idea of the Dickens' mistress story...and what a great preview for Pearce's movie! He is a fav of mine.

    Hi, my long-lost Dez! I have been absent, but yours is one of the first blogs I returned to today on my re-introduction to blogging. :)

    Happy Holidays!
    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Erin
    not a fan of remakes? :)

    @Dirty
    hope you watched it all, because the action starts in last 20 seconds :)

    @LC
    thanks for watching my back and I swear I won't make you watch TROOPERS :)(although I might make you sing me SUPER TROOPER from ABBA) :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Debs
    Victorian age really was crazy, wasn't it?

    @Cal
    actually I hated the book :) It's full of fascism, militarism, racism and many other evil ideas. I didn't know it was so evil when I accepted it, and my publisher didn't either, so to cover up the situation they even published a sf book which is against militarism at the same time as TROOPERS were published.

    @Jenny
    ah, I'm glad you like my new outfit, me is pretty, isn't me? :)))

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Steve
    we all need that guide :)

    @DWei
    yep, it wasn't a bad film, since it had a very good satire in it

    @Lurk
    the film was OK, but not everybody got it, I think that most people just wanted action and special effects and they didn't get the satire wrapped up in the cheesiness of the film

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dez I would like to see the "Invisible woman" I love Charles Dickens:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Libby
    I hope yes :) You need the cheesy to emphasize the satire of the modern American society

    @Scottie
    the nominations usually start in November when people nominate whomever they want and TOP 5 is announced in December and then the voting starts for the final winner. I won a lot of awards last year and didn't want to compete this one, but apparently people have still been voting for me, so I guess I mustn't disappoint them

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Vics
    thanks, it good nice reactions here too :)

    @Suzy
    thanks Suzy :)

    @Michelle
    oh, where have you been, woman? Haven't seen you in centuries, I almost teared up a bit from nostalgia when I saw your name here :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Gloria
    glad you liked that piece of news, Gloria, it should be a nice film :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ah OK, No one will ever love FRC enough to get me into any awards..... I am off to cry

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh, please, Scottie :) Just follow the Movie411 Blog and you will know when the nominations start next year....
    If I voted this year, you know I would've voted for my fave British hunk!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I'd think even less of a garfield remake, that be just ewww..haha. Tried again and still won't let me leave the friggin homepage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oooh, I want to see Lockout! Guy Pierce never disappoints~ I recognize the bad guy, he was in Prison Break series, Peter Stormare.

    Off to vote :D

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh, the Dicken's movie looks great. I like the trailer but my internet was flaky so it came in bursts. I'll try to watch it later.

    ReplyDelete
  33. @Pat
    what are you clicking, Pat? You should click the red letters link in the post above or the voting banner in the left sidebar. There is no homepage, those links take you to the voting page directly :)

    @Ella
    it's interesting isn't it? :)

    @Clarissa
    is that the Mexican internet? :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lockout looks relatively interesting especially since I love futuristic sci-fi flicks, but Guy Pearce's character seems to be an extremely cliche and uninteresting bad a** type. We'll have to wait and see I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Besson's characters are often like that :) It's not an overly ambitious film, just an ordinary little sf flick.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Okay, so I'm very late this time. I thought Starship Troopers was a hilariously earnest film that played like one long military ad campaign. They did a great job bringing the mockery to life. Don't know why they are going to remake it, but I hope Caspar Van Dien comes back. I like him. Neil Patrick Harris was in the original as well.

    Lockout looks quite intriguing and I must say that Fiennes will make Mr. Dickens look very handsome. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. hahahaha ummmm it will help if I scrolled down on the page right?...hahahaha oopsy...voted though!

    ReplyDelete
  38. Glad to hear guy Pearce been getting some movies lately. I have just bought don't be afraid of The Dark,tho I don't like Holmes but at least the male role is Pearce.

    Good luck with the vote Dezzy :)

    ReplyDelete
  39. @Melsy
    it was a great satire on American militarism and invasions all around the world, which not many of the ordinary film watchers noticed :(
    Caspar is quite nice. He is married to that Catherine Oxenburg, daughter of a Serbian princess. She keeps presenting herself as a princess although she isn't :) Her grandfather was a brother of a Serbian king

    @Pat
    thanks, vote again when you can :)

    @Novia
    Pearce is usually very nice :)
    And thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Oh, Dez. I guess I'll be happy with "almost." :P I am so happy to be back! You KNOW your blog was my very first stop!!!!

    Michele
    SouthernCityMysteries

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm not a crying one, so "almost" is a big thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  42. You had me at Guy Pearce. And we could use a new STARSHIP TROOPERS.

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.