Saturday, January 21, 2012

UPCOMING UNDERWATER FILMS: "ATLANTIS RISING", "AVATAR 2", FINCHER'S "20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA" & $100 MILLION EPIC "EMPIRES OF THE DEEP"

Something HOLLYWOOD SPY announced more than three years ago is finally moving on according to "Movie Web". Producer Mark Canton (standing behind stunning epic classics such as 300 and IMMORTALS) and Platinum Studios have started a preproduction work on adapting comic book
ATLANTIS RISING into a movie franchise. It is a provocative sf epic which brings up the question: whose planet is this?, since the story of the comic book is set against an undersea civilization that began over 10,000 years ago, and whose presence is unknown to the surface population. The action starts when after some seismic activities deep under water the U.S. military is dispatched to investigate the cause of the disturbances in the deepest part of the ocean only to reveal that there is an underground civilization down there which is ready to engage us in war. The film was previously set at Dreamworks with Len Wiseman directing and Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman producing, but the
rights then went back to Platinum Studios who is now ready to launch the production process on this big underwater adventure. Click to read HOLLYWOOD SPY's old post on the film from years ago.The film is scheduled for 2014.

AVATAR AND NEMO
This will not be the only underwater movie in the future, since you remember that back in 2010 James Cameron said AVATAR II will explore the Pandora oceans ("I'm going to be focusing on the ocean on Pandora, which will be equally rich and diverse and crazy and imaginative, but it just won't be a rain forest" ), but whether or not that
is still true, the sequel has been pushed to 2016 since Cameron wants to use a totally new special effects technology for the sequel and needs time to develop it. Another underwater project waiting to be shot is a new movie adaptation of 20,000 LEAGUES UNDER THE SEA, which will be brutalized in his usual manner by David Fincher for Disney
(the first choice for the helmer was McG). Based on Jules Verne's classic epic the new version will follow a group of men led by Captain Nemo, who battle a scientific genius and his giant submarine with David Fincher's take on the material  being surprisingly less dark and more in lines with STAR WARS.
EMPIRES OF THE DEEP
And we must not forget the $100 million worth Chinese production which has been in the work for years now but hasn't been released yet
EMPIRES OF THE DEEP  in which the plot is set in a mythical world, telling the tale of an unlikely love story between a mermaid and a young human who journeys through a mythical underwater mermaid kingdom, where he is trying to rescue his father, while encountering some of the most ferocious creatures the sea kingdom has to offer. This fantasy adventure is co-directed by Michael French and Jonathan Lawrence, and has stunning Olga Kurylenko as the
Queen of the Mermaid Empire alongside male lead Steve Polites and Liang Yanfei. Anthony Arendt, virtual camera operator in "Avatar" is also aboard the film.
LITTLE MERMAID
I also forgot to mention above that  Sony is planning to make a darker version of the famous underwater tale by Hans Christian Andersen. According to "MovieWeb" it will basically be a film adaptation of Carolyn Turgeon's book MERMAID: A TWIST ON THE CLASSIC TALE,  which focuses on a princess who seeks out to marry the prince of her rival kingdom, to try and save her own ravaged kingdom. However, the princess discovers that a beautiful mermaid has also fallen for the prince, risking her life to be with him. The film will be produced by Tobey Maguire.

43 comments:

  1. Avatar 2 inspired by Sanctum? Dear God, that movie was terrible

    ReplyDelete
  2. Atlantis Rising sounds like a good one to wait for....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of Fincher, i just saw the Girl with the Dragon tattoo. I liked it, but it didn't quite top the original for me. With that said, I may look out for 20,000 leagues now that i know he's directing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, I heard it underperformed at the box office too.

      Delete
  4. ATLANTIS RISING does sound interesting. I look forward to seeing the trailer for it in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I look forward to know more about Atlantic Rising and The Deep.

    I will wait for AVATAR trailer....if I can guess the story just by seeing the trailer, like the 1st avatar, then I will probably not going to see it. A great special effect without a great story is meaningless for me now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting Sci-fi stuff. I know when I finally watched Avatar, it wasn't too bad. So maybe I'll like the sequel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he is trying to build up the hype around it, like they did with THE HOBBIT :)

      Delete
  7. Atlantis rising interests me - the mermaid one? Well I'll pass judgement once I've seen the trailer. Too much dress-ups can be a bad thing and it looks a little off to me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it seems their costumes will be totally over the top since it is a Chinese production :)The sets are lovely, however, looking like ancient Rome.

      Delete
  8. I think I am the only person on the internet that didn't like Avatar.. But whatevers :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're not, Bragon, I didn't like it either and I know other people like us :))

      Delete
  9. EMPIRES OF THE DEEP looks actually interesting. Imma watch it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Atlantis Rising does sound like one that will actually be good, if it comes off and is done right. Avatar 2, whoopdi do. The first was okay but nothing deserving of the hype.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and if they don't give the role to Milla Jovovich or Megan Fox :))) The second one actually had her paws on the lead one.

      Delete
  11. These all sounds great, but the Atlantis one really sounds amazing! I love the stories of this mythical land. I love all the water elements over here ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, me is very blue, watery and icy today :))) I'm expecting Tilda Swinton to pop out from somewhere as the White Witch from Narnia :))

      Delete
  12. EMpires of the Deep has some pretty nifty costumes - looks like it'll be a fin watch. <--- I meant 'fun watch'. Pun wasn't intended, it was a genuine typo. I just thought it was appropriate so it's staying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it should be fun since it seems fairy taleish, and we love that. And the two lead stars are very cute together

      Delete
  13. Out of the three Empires of the Deep gets my vote. Avatar 1 was overrated in my opinion and Atlantis Rising, it's just too soon to tell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. overrated it was, Anne! I have deep respect for the technical aspect of AVATAR, but the story was plain bad and mediocre, and so was the acting in it.
      Hope you are better today, darling!

      Delete
  14. I have huge hopes for Empires of the Deep but I remember seeing those pics like a year ago! I hope it comes out eventually... An underwater world has such great potential! Imagine Little Mermaid meets Lord of the Rings??? Sounds pretty awesome to me;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I personally posted those pics a year ago or more, and wrote about the film three years ago or more when Monica Bellucci was the lead star. When you Google the images for the film you will find my posts at the top of the search :)
      Oh, hell, I forgot to mention in the article today that there are three little mermaid films in plan too! :(

      Delete
  15. In related news all these movies are gonna use the same water while filming... you know to save money? Man that's gonna get funky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. imagine bathing in the same water as Olga Kyrulenko and Sam Worthington....

      Delete
  16. Avatar 2 will have some amazing graphics cant wait for that one

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have an odd frightening obsession with water. So this all makes me excited. woot. lol How have you been?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. woot indeed :) Busy as usually, hope you are nice and fine this January, Kelley :)

      Delete
  18. I'm not surprised James Cameron is taking so long with Avatar 2...it took him over a decade to do the first film. But I wish he wouldn't put so much emphasis on technology...it isn't the pretty pictures I remember from Avatar..it was the thoroughly engaging story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's the opposite with me, Dan, I remember only the effects from AVATAR, although I'm the one to fall for the story. I think he is competing with himself, his ego needs better technology not us :)

      Delete
  19. Great collections of upcoming underwater films, Dezzy! ATLANTIS RISING sounds like it has lots of potential, I'm curious how well that'd look on screen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious too, Flixy, we haven't seen and underwater film since forever ;)

      Delete
  20. I love ocean movies! All of these sound interesting but Avatar 2. No more Pandora. LOL

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.