Thursday, October 13, 2011

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW WITH SIX TIMES PUBLISHED AUTHOR MELISSA BRADLEY: ON ANGELS, WEREWOLVES, SILK, MOVIES AND OTHER NAUGHTY THINGS

One of my dearest people in the world, American writer Melissa Bradley and I did a little chit-chat for you ahead of the release of her sixth published work NATHAN'S ANGEL, which comes out
October 16th! Melissa grew up on the southeast side of Chicago amidst the spires of churches and the smokestacks of steel mills. Raised in a family of storytellers, some of her fondest memories are of her father and Uncle Moose regalng her with tales of giants and goblins. She has a passion for tales of history, romance, adventure, fantasy, sci fi and horror. Possessed of a huge naughty streak, she loves delving into the realm of the salacious and the spicy. When she's not creating mayhem in the fictional world, you can find her in her favorite places libraries, bookstores and movie theaters. Some of her novels include MAXIE BRISCO: WEREWOLF and BYZANTINE PROVOCATEUR.
DEZZ MELSY, TELL US SOMETHING ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE AND THE INSPIRATION IN WRITING NATHAN'S ANGEL YOUR LATEST BOOK
MELISSA This was a story born out of my very first published tale, Michael's Keeper. Nathan Rhodes was a beta werewolf in Michael's pack who helped save his king. His creation was inspired by some very close friends of mine whom I admire greatly. That being said, this was a difficult story to write because I had never put myself in the mindset of a gay man before. But, I wanted to tell
Nathan's story more than I was afraid to, so I pushed myself. However, there were times that I stopped working on this all together because I did let that fear get the better of me. I was afraid that I was not doing Nathan or my friends, for that matter, justice.
I also wanted to write a story that involved a werewolf, but that would be very different from the alpha werewolf stories that seem to dominate the landscape. I figured what could be more different than a werewolf who was not the dominant beast so to speak. Someone who had gotten picked on, was vulnerable to the bullies. What would happen when he finally came into his own.

DEZZ THAT SOUNDS EXTREMELY INSIRING, MELSY, AND SINCE I KNOW YOU'RE A MOVIE JUNKIE, DO YOU FIND YOUR OWN INSPIRATION IN FILMS AND ON TV?
MELISSA Oh definitely. I get inspired by plots, dialogue, themes and characters. Almost anything will make me say, "now what if instead of this, we had that"...Or "I so would have done that differently." Screenwriters inspire me to hone my craft, to make it tighter and more visual. I want people to be able to see my stories in their heads. And yeah, right now I'm published in erotica so seeing my stories in their heads will get quite steamy. LOL

 NATHAN'S ANGEL
Sometimes, the laws of Heaven were meant to be broken…
When his soul mate is stolen from Paradise and reincarnated, Ramiel, angel of death and transformation, defies Celestial Law to find out why. As punishment for his crime, he is banished to
Earth in human form without his powers. His only hope lies in recovering the grace he lost in his fall from the Divine Realm…
Nathan, a beta werewolf, knows all too well what it’s like to be vulnerable and at the mercy of unfair people and situations. He is considered weak in the eyes of the alphas of his pack. Ramiel literally falling into his life changes him. Determined to help the sexy angel, he takes charge of the situation and to his surprise, begins to exhibit some rather alpha behavior…
As they search, a white hot, forbidden fire ignites between them, an inferno that sets them ablaze, fusing them body and mind. A passion that makes them question everything they’ve ever known. But when Ramiel’s grace is found, will they have the strength to let each other go?

DEZZ METHINKS, A LITTLE STEAM WON'T HURT ANYONE ;) IF NATHAN'S ANGEL GETS A MOVIE OR TV ADAPTATION WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO SEE IN THE LEAD ROLES?
MELISSA What a sizzler it would be, I think the FCC would have a field day. LOL Oh I could definitely see one of my fave blond hotties, Chris Hemsworth as the angel Ramiel and the darkly handsome Ed Westwick as Nathan, my beta werewolf.

DEZZ CHRIS WOULD BE GREAT IF HE'S UP FOR SOME MAN LOVE ON THE BIG SCREEN:) MOVING AWAY FROM MOVIES, MELSY, I'M SURE WRITERS AMONG OUR READERS WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOMETHING ABOUT YOUR JOURNEY TO GETTING PUBLISHED
MELISSA I've always written, but I had never really thought seriously about the possibility of publication until 1994 when I started writing reviews of women's fiction for a magazine called
Rendezvous. I came into contact with so many other writers and started attending conferences. Then Life happened and dealt me several huge blows. It was not until the death of my father in 2002 that I started thinking about publication again.
It took me another six years, but in 2008 I won a contest at Amber Quill Press. The prize was a publishing contract. It was one of the most glorious experiences of my life. I think I turned cartwheels for days which quite a feat for someone as athletically challenged as I am. LOL Now, I'm three years into the publishing game and having the time of my life. It's so different than what I imagined, but it's the greatest experience.

DEZZ SO, MELSY, PATIENCE, TALENT AND CONSTANT WORK ARE WHAT COUNTS IN GETTING PUBLISHED. ALTHOUGH SEXY AND EXCITING, YOUR STORIES ARE ALWAYS WELL RESEARCHED. WHAT ARE YOU WORKING ON CURRENTLY? ANY PLANS? HOLDING ON TO WEREWOLVES OR MOVING ON TO ANGELS? :)
MELISSA You know how I love my sexy beasts, Dezz. ;) I could never give them up completely. I am currently working on a direct sequel to my first published story, Michael's Keeper. It is the second in a series of stories that is tentatively titled The Gatekeeper Chronicles. My protagonist, Ryanne Night-Walker,
Crossroads Gatekeeper and paranormal investigator takes on Death as a client. I also have a story that's near completion set in China and along the old Silk Road during the 1920's and a huge novel that's in the research stages set during the First World War. And just when you think I'm going to bury myself in history, I do have the first in a sci fi trilogy nearly ready as well as a zombie tale.
I'm also working on a horror blog called Dead End and a film blog, The Movie 411. Movies are my other great passion. Especially horror films so you know I'm going to be there when The Thing opens as well as gearing up for The Walking Dead.

DEATH AS A CLIENT? OH, MY, YOU'VE BEEN NAUGHTY AGAIN, MELSY :) AND YOU KNOW I'VE BEEN EXCITED AND INTRIGUED BY THAT SILK ROAD NOVEL OF YOURS EVER SINCE I FIRST HEARD ABOUT IT.  THANKS FOR THE CHAT, AND THANKS ONCE MORE FOR PUTTING ME IN THE DEDICATION OF NATHAN'S ANGEL. LOOKING FORWARD TO BEING YOUR SUPPORT IN YOUR FUTURE WORK!

37 comments:

  1. Had never really heard of her or her books but what do I know, good interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dezz!! I must say you made me look and sound so very intriguing. :) I promise to keep you up to date on my Silk Road story. I hope to have it finished by the end of the year or at least the beginning of next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lurk
    well, now you did, Lurk. She writes very spicy books, so you might like one of her books as a nice relaxation before bedtime :)

    @Melsy
    ooh, you must, I really like the adventurous and historical aspect of the silk road story! Don't rush with it, put in it as much research as needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! nice post :) thanks for sharing these books

    xx

    www.sickbytrend.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview, really deleved into everything. Although sorry but The Thing made me cringe, remakes, blah (I know not so much a remake, but close enough)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview Dezz and Melissa - more books to add to my long "must read" list. I also hope Hollywood comes knocking and there is a movie deal for one of the novels soon. Also must check out Movie 411.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @David
    glad you liked it, David! :)

    @Pat
    glad you liked the interview, Pat. And I shall leave Melsy comment on your comment on THE THING :))but I personally liked the polar setting seen in the trailer of the remake :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Fabo
    oh, yes, imagine seeing one of friends having her book made into a movie! We would have a planetary party if that happens :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Lurk Thank you! I'm so glad you liked the interview.

    @sick I'm happy you enjoyed hearing about my stories. :)

    @Pat Thank you! I'll probably cringe too as I love the Carpenter film, but I'm a sucker I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mixing angels and werewolves, who would of thought? I'm gonna have to check this out.

    Deep interview. Good job you two :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, Melissa, you've got a lot of projects going. I've always been suspicious of writers who can kick out two books a year (or more). *shifty eyes* Well, actually I'm mostly jealous.

    Congrats again on the book and the great interview. And also for pushing yourself to write and finish something you weren't sure you could do. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congrats on the new release, Melissa! I, too, am jealous of those who can get out multiple novels in a year. But I enjoy reading yours. So, yea, that you have another coming out.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview Dezz. Steamy werewolves always sound a little interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great interview!
    Melissa's an entertaining blogger, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fantastic interview, Dezzy! Melissa is a sweetie, and it sounds like, from reading this, a very busy woman. =D

    ReplyDelete
  16. @MAry
    it's an unusual mix, isn't it? :) Glad you liked the interview!

    @Luanne
    I shall leave to Melsy to explain where she finds the energy and inspiration for so many books :) But, Melsy is a big inspiration for other writers, isn't she?

    @MPax
    you read some of Melsy's previous work?

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Erin
    thanks, glad you like the interview :)

    @Andrew
    she is entertaining, isn't she? :)

    @Shells
    she is busy indeed, which is why she will drop by later on when she comes home from her job :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great interview! Definitely a nice, down to earth road to publication story that keeps all of us wanna-be-published-writers from crying ourselves to sleep at night. Or something less depression. Melissa is definitely a BAMF, no doubt about it, and you two make a great interview team.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous interview.. How cool to be in the dedication. I'm impressed by how much you've achieved, Melissa.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Melissa is made of awesome niceness :) And her covers are super neato keen as well. Hi Dezzy!

    ReplyDelete
  21. @Hufstader
    glad you liked the interview :) And thanks for supporting Melissa. Be sure to buy her new book which is out this Sunday :)

    @Lyndy
    thanks, dahling :) She really did achieve a lot, besides being a great friend who thinks you're inspiring enough to be put into dedication :))

    @Kelley
    Hi, my dear, she really is awesome-possum, isn't she? :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. thanks, Michael, glad we gave you some joy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh! I know I've seen Maxie Brisco around here! And what a fun post! I love having our Hollywood Spy casting your books. Cute cute. Best of luck to Melissa!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Fab Thank you so much!! I appreciate your wonderful supportive thoughts. :)

    @Giggles Werewolves and angels do make a potent mix. ;) Thank you so much for coming out to party today!

    @L.G. Thank you very much! Your words mean a lot and your support is awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. @MPax Thank you! It means a lot that you enjoy my work as I love yours as well.

    @erin Thanks! I do love steamy werewolves as they really are fun to write.

    @Andrew Thank you very much! I'm glad you like my blog as well. Your visits and support are very much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  26. @RaShelle Thanks, I'm so glad you enjoyed the interview. Dezz did an amazing job with the questions, didn't he? He should definitely book more interviews. :)

    @M Thanks! I am honored that you consider me a BAMF and I'm happy you liked the interview. Your support means a lot, my sister BAMF.

    @Lynda Thank you so much. Your means the world to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Kelley Aww... Thank you. You are one of the sweetest people out there. :)Glad you like my covers. Trace Edward Zaber is my artist and he does great work.

    @Michael Thanks! I'm so happy you enjoyed the interview.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @LTM Dezz does fabulous casting job. He should do it full time. Glad you liked the interview. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great interview! And you're right, everyone needs a bit of spice every now again ;)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Dezz,

    Thank you for interviewing Melissa Bradley and sharing her with us.

    I am a huge fan of werewolves and will be keeping and eye out for Nathan’s Angel.

    After the wonderful read I found in Samantha’s Before Ever After, I look to you with confidence when seeking out a good book!

    Melissa,

    Congratulations to you on your many writing successes - how pleased you must be, and rightly so!

    Being raised on tales of giants and goblins must have been truly exciting and done wonders for a young girl’s imagination; what a wonderful gift from your father and Uncle Moose!

    I look forward to reading more about your continued success.

    Cheers, Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  31. awwww! cute interview mel and dezz! it was nice to get to know you a little more mel! :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. @Melsy
    hope you like the comments and the reactions of the public :))

    @Jamie
    thanks, glad you liked our little chitchat :)

    @Jenny
    but, mind you, Jenny, Melsy's books are spicy and rather erotic, so don't blush if you find in them something unexpected :)

    @Vics
    thanks, darling! How's work? Still alive? :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh dezz! it's crazy! just as one lady's getting better, another's father might be about to pass away (so so so sad!!!) and another's sons were arrested (again soooo sad!!!) and another injured her knee severely one day before a marathon she had trained really hard to race in (more sadness!) i'm beginning to fear our department might be cursed...

    ReplyDelete
  34. two sons arrested? Scandal, scandal, I say! What were they arrested for?

    ReplyDelete
  35. Dezz, I'm so happy everyone is loving the interview. I'm floating about my house.:)

    @Jamie So glad you liked the interview. Spice is oh so very nice sometimes. ;)

    @Jenny Thank you!! Your words mean a lot to me. My dad and my uncle unlocked my imagination as a kid and I've always been grateful for that. My stories may be spicy, but they have a lot of heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. @vics Thank you very much. I'm so happy you liked reading about my journey to publishing.

    So sorry to hear about things at work. I hope it all gets sorted out quickly. Thoughts and prayers for your department.

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.