Monday, February 20, 2012

GAEL GARCIA BERNAL GOES SF IN "ZORRO REBORN"! JASON ISAACS IN NBC'S "AWAKE" SHOW! JAMIE BLACKLEY IS CALISTO IN "300: BATTLE AT ARTEMISIA" EPIC!

A year or so ago HOLLYWOOD SPY has reported that a futuristic take on Zorro is being planned in Hollywood, and I have an update on the project: Fox is apparently negotiating with Gael Garcia Bernal to take the lead role in their sf film ZORRO REBORN which will take the legend of the famous
Mexican masked hero into a post-apocalyptic era where the masked vigilante will seek revenge in a futuristic wasteland. As I've also announced before, that's not the only Zorro project, since Sony is planning to adapt Isabella Allende's novel which reveals the history behind the legendary masked man, from being born as a son of an aristocratic Spanish military man turned landowner and a Shoshone female warrior, and growing up as a witness of the brutal injustices dealt to Native Americans by European settlers, to being a student in Napoleonic Spain, and fighting pirates at the sea, and finally to his return to America to reclaim the hacienda where he was raised and to seek justice for all who cannot fight for it themselves.

HOLLYWOOD SPY HEADLINES
Speaking of heroes, swords and comics, there's also a piece of movie news coming from "The Hollywood Reporter" about THE NEW WEST comic getting its movie adaptation. This comic series is set in a
near-future Los Angeles where an electro magnetic pulse bomb has causes all technology to stop working. In this hostile environment a disgraced former LAPD detective must rescue a kidnapped mayor with only a horse and a sword. Deadline reports that beside Sullivan Stapleton as Themistockles and Eva Green as Artemisia, 300 prequel BATTLE AT ARTEMISIA has added young British actor Jamie Blackley as Calisto, a teen whose desire to become the heroic man/soldier his father was leads the 16-year-old to become a leader of a small band of soldiers. Young Blackley will be seen in SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN this year.

One of the interesting new midseason shows is ready to premiere March 1st over at NBC: it's AWAKE with always great Jason Isaacs. Following a tragic car accident, detective Michael Britten finds
himself awake in two separate realities: one where his teen son, Rex died in the crash and his wife, Hannah , survived and another where Hannah has perished, leaving Michael and Rex to pick up the pieces. In order to keep both of his loved ones alive, Michael begins living in two dueling realities, churning up confusion. In one reality, Michael and his wife debate having another child, while in the other, his son Rex is turning to his tennis coach, Tara, to fill the void from the loss of his mother. Trying to regain some normalcy, Michael returns to solving crimes in both worlds with the help of two different partners. Michael is assigned a different case in each reality
and quickly discovers that his dual existence is actually a powerful tool. He begins to solve impossible cases by using his two realties to gain unique perspectives and link clues that cross over from world to world.

41 comments:

  1. I love El Zorro movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's always nice seeing the masked vigilante :)

      Delete
  2. Gael Garcia Bernal? He's got too much of a baby face to 'be' Zorro. What about 'Zorro Boy'? :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. A futuristic Zorro... hmmm, not sure. Could be interesting, but there hasn't been a recent post-apocalyptic movie I've liked that much.

    Awake sounds intiguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all in for a futuristic Zorro, and I think Jason Isaacs will do good in AWAKE.

      Delete
    2. well, I'd definitely watch it! I just hope I enjoy it too ;) I live in hope!

      Delete
    3. I won't watch it myself, since I have zero tolerance for police shows :) but I know lots of people like them and I know a lot of my ladies like Isaacs :)

      Delete
  4. I always see Jason Isaacs as a villain. Not sure if I can take him as a cop solving crimes. It will take some getting used to, especially with his American accent, but the cast includes some TV guys I love like B.D. Wong and Steve Harris.

    Gael Garcia Bernal is awesome! This Zorro project is sounding more and more intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that Wong guy is always lovely to see, isn't he? Never knew his name, though :)
      ZORRO should be fun, you know how much I love me sf films :)

      Delete
    2. Yes, he is! I have loved B.D. since he first played Margaret Cho's brother in All American Girl.

      Delete
    3. is that a film or a show? Never heard of it before, Melsy.

      Delete
  5. Zorro in the future, kind of like that sherlock holmes cartoon a while back. Should be interesting at least, enjoyed the last two zorro movies. Awake sounds interesting but who knows if it will last with NBC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was a Sherlock in the future cartoon? :) Interesting.

      Delete
    2. Yeah Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd century or something like that, remember it vaguely as I saw a bit here and there waiting for x-men TAS to come on.

      Delete
  6. I've seen commercials for Awake and don't quite know what to make of it. Not sure how that one will play out over time. The premise could wear thin quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it sounds and seems quite complicated, it will require a lot of good writing and imagination to makes things match, kinda like in ONCE UPON A TIME where they constantly amaze me with the level of creative twists and intertwining plot lines.

      Delete
  7. I think the futuristic Zorro sounds silly too but often the silly sounding ones turn out to be good.

    However, Awake looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awake reminds me of the movie Unknown

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awake actually sounds like a great and original concept for a series which is good to see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeay for Zorro, and I am quite excited by the prospect of AWAKE!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I suppose I don't mind a new Zorro. And I can't wait for this Jason Isaacs show.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been out of town so catching up with my favorite bloggers. Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Zorro movies and show but for some reason a new one doesn't sound interesting to me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Awake seems awesome! It looks like it will be a good show! But I wonder if it will lose momentum after a season or two!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awake sounds interesting.

    I don't always understand why people redo classics, but maybe this Zorro movie will be good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First, I totally loved Zorro as a kid, so I'm excited about the updates. But weird. That Awake just is ... crazy! :D <3

    ReplyDelete
  17. Dezzy - AWAKE is... different. Loved Zorro. It might be fun. Hope you've had a rockin Monday, friend. =D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it wasn't that rocking, I've just had a two hour power cut :))))

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.