Thursday, April 10, 2014

CATE BLANCHETT TO DIG OUT ANCIENT ARTEFACTS IN 'THE DIG'! DISNEY TO ADAPT 'THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN' BESTSELLER! SYFY ORDERS MYTHOLOGICAL EPIC TV SERIES 'OLYMPUS'

CATE BLANCHETT TO PLAY
ARCHAEOLOGIST IN 'THE DIG'
Our most beloved Elven queen and two time Oscar winner Cate Blanchett is negotiating to take the lead role in period set drama THE DIG which will be directed by Susanne Bier! Based on the novel by John Preston the movie will follow the story of archaeologist Edith Pretty, who was the driving force behind the famous 1938 to 1939 excavation of Sutton Hoo in England. The dig uncovered a wealth of sixth and seventh century artefacts spread between two ancient Suffolk cemeteries.

DEZZY'S HISTORY LESSON
One of the cemeteries contained an undisturbed ship burial including a wealth of Anglo-Saxon artefacts of outstanding art, historical and archaeological significance, now held in the British Museum in London. Among the found treasure is a breathtaking suite of metalwork dress fittings in gold and gems, a stunning ceremonial helmet, shield and sword, a lyre, and many pieces of silver plate from Byzantium. They probably belonged to Rædwald, the ruler of the East Angles!

DISNEY TO ADAPT
THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN!
Here's another lovely big screen book adaptation that awaits us: Disney will make a movie out of THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN 2011 bestseller by Katherine Applegate. It follows the silverback gorilla Ivan, an elderly elephant named Stella and a stray dog dubbed Bob, who all live in a cage at a shopping centre. Although Ivan cannot remember his life before the mall, he begins to regain his memories when a baby elephant arrives, as he concocts a plan to escape back to the wild to protect this infant animal from their abusive owner. The story is based on a real life gorilla who spent 27 years in a Washington mall before being transferred to an Atlanta zoo!

SYFY ORDERS
'OLYMPUS' MYTHOLOGICAL SHOW
Good news arrive from SyFy where they have just ordered a 13 episode epic TV series OLYMPUS  which will tell the mythological story of how a few brave men and women banished the Gods to the realm of the unconscious – a place they called the Underworld or the Kingdom of Hades. The story centres on a fresh faced and raw young man who, through the dramatic experiences of betrayal, love, disappointment, empowerment and exile, transforms into a ruthless leader of men, and a match for the Gods themselves. We shall hear about casting choices soon since this fantastic blend of action, intense thrills, creatures and great story telling will start shooting this summer.

40 comments:

  1. The Dig! Yes. I will be there for this. And The One and Only Ivan will be another must!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it will be nice seeing Cate in an exciting dig!

      Delete
  2. "The Dig" and "Olympus" are right up my history-and-mythology-loving alley! So many upcoming things to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm overly happy with the number of historical and epic series that await us :)

      Delete
  3. Count me in for The Dig. I've had the paperback sitting on my shelf for ages. Looks like it may be time to give it a read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Count me in for anything that Cate Blanchett is in!
    Is THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN going to be animated or real animals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it will be live action movie in general, but I don't know if the animals will be CGI made or real or props

      Delete
    2. They could be like all those talking animal shows where the lips move. Like Babe the pig.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if the gorilla is still at the Atlanta Zoo. If so, I'll have to take the kids to see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the pics or the real gorilla and her elephant and they are so cute

      Delete
  6. THE DIG sounds right up my alley. And with Cate Blanchett to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Count me in for The Dig. I'd love to be an archaeologist in another life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they have an interesting, but very dirty life as well

      Delete
  8. THE DIG sounds awesome. I love that kind of story. (and I love Cate's dress!)
    And of course, THE ONE AND ONLY IVAN is going to be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. never heard of the Ivan book

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Dig sounds interesting as does the new Disney film.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love Cate, she is really a good actress. I wouldn't be banished if my warders showed up naked and beautiful. Seriously!

    ......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm curious to see the new Disney the one and only Ivan .
    Cheers .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it should be a really touching movie, Captain

      Delete
  13. I'm stunned by all the treasures! I'm glad they made their way to a museum.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of The One And Only Ivan, but if Disney is going to make it into a film, I will be sure to catch it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's a great book and a movie for your kids!

      Delete
  15. I used to have a butt like that. I love Cate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had a butt like that... in both meanings possible.....

      Delete
    2. Good one. You're so sharp I could use you to slice my buns.

      Delete
    3. that was wonderfully naughty from you

      Delete
    4. Ah... you got the joke. Of course you did.

      Delete
    5. not only that I got it but I wanted to say that I got a sharp tongue... but 'tongue and buns' was just too naughty and would require PG for reading :)

      Delete
  16. I adore Cate and The Dig is profoundly interesting to me as my sister has just finished a novel set in the 8th century in England. And I am hugely into archaeology and Edith's story is one deserving to be told.

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.