Friday, November 25, 2011

SPOTLIGHT ON INDEPENDENT FILMS HITTING CINEMAS SOON: FANTASTIC "THE DIVIDE", DRAMATIC "YOUNG ADULT", ROMANTIC "NEWLYWEDS"

Ah, I know that after eating your Thanksgiving dinner you want a sweet little dessert in the form of some movie treats, but alas, holidays usually mean that there are zero film news out there, so I
will feed you today with some independent films which hit cinemas soon.
THE LUCKY ONES DIE IN THE BLAST
The film which will finally premiere, after quite a long wait (as far as I understood the film got its distributor only after it drew attention with its captivating and highly atmospheric trailer) is apocalyptic thriller THE DIVIDE. To open in early January, and starring Milo Ventimiglia, Michael Biehn and Rosanna Arquette, the film follows nine tenants of a New York building who escape a nuclear attack by hiding out in the building's bunker-like basement. Trapped for days underground with no hope
for rescue, and only unspeakable horrors awaiting them on the other side of the bunker door, the group begins to descend into madness, each turning on one another with physical and psycho-sexual torment. As supplies dwindle, and tensions flare, and they grow increasingly unhinged by their close quarters and hopelessness, each act against one another becomes more depraved than the next. While everyone in the bunker allows themselves to be overcome by desperation and lose their humanity, one survivor holds onto a thin chance for escape even with no promise of salvation on the outside. Check out the trailer, I don't think I've ever seen such an intense one.

NEWLYWEDS CRISES
One of the trailers freshly released today is the one for a comedy drama NEWLYWEDS which hits theaters this Christmas and is directed and produced by ever so charming Edward Burns.
The story follows Buzzy (Edward Burns) and Katie (Caitlin Fitzgerald)  a newly married couple living a seemingly conflict-free life. But when Buzzy's damaged and impulsive half-sister Linda (Kerry Bishé) arrives at their doorstep expecting to stay for an indefinite period in their Tribeca loft, her antics threaten to disrupt the couple's commitment to an "easy" marriage. Meanwhile, with Katie's sister Marsha projecting suspicions of her own husband's infidelity onto Buzzy, will the couple's formerly trusting and insulated life be able to withstand the dysfunctions of their respective siblings? We like Ed's New York films, don't we?

A BIT OF BAGGAGE
One of the films which might join the Oscar race next year is Diablo Cody's (JUNO, UNITED STATES OF TARA) bitter sweet drama YOUNG ADULT which hits cinemas December 9th.
The cast of the movie is lead by Academy Award winner Charlize Theron who plays Mavis Gary, a writer of teen literature who returns to her small hometown to relive her glory days and attempt to reclaim her happily married high school sweetheart (Patrick Wilson). When returning home proves more difficult than she thought, Mavis forms an unusual bond with a former classmate (Patton Oswalt) who hasn't quite gotten over high school, either. Reviews of the film usually mention a powerful performance by Charlize Theron who is obviously returning from the dead with roles in PROMETHEUS and SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN and this awards contender.
And don't forget that you have one more day to join the giveaway of Samuel Park's THIS BURNS MY HEART novel, and you, who already did that, check the comments again because Sam has left you his comments today :) 

31 comments:

  1. I am in love with all three of these films. My girl Charlize is back and I am loving it! And she stars with Patrick Wilson, how amazingly cool is that? What a great spotlight and the perfect way to wind up my celebration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melsy, tell me you eat tofurkey instead of a poor turkey :)
    I must admit Patrick is irresistible in the trailer, as he always is, and Charlize is amazing in the role of the evil woman who never actually grew up with the years :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Edward Burns has made another film. I like his very personal style. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You adult and the divide seem like they'll be good ones. The middle one meh, not so sure about. And my thanksgiving dinner was over a month ago and you are just giving me this news now, geez. I shouldn't have taken those penguins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sign me up for Divide! The hubby and I gobble up apocalyptic thrillers :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. No tofurkey, I am carnivorous on occasion. You're sending the penguins to get me, aren't you? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of post-apocalyptic movies coming out it seems.

    Also, derp is internet slang. It can be used as an onomatopoeia or as a noun. Usually for stupid situations or stupid people.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Divide sounds interesting. Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Divide looks like something I would dig, I really enjoy the post apoc back story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Did Charlize lose the way then? I have always been a solid fan of the beautiful lass

    Have a good weekend Dezzy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christ the trailer for The Divide looks like a real barnstormer, good to see Biehn in something good I hope.

    ReplyDelete
  12. YOUNG ADULT looks like the expected hipster indie flick of the season. Not buying it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Fabo
    I usually love his films too, since I adore when they are set in New York with that urban magic, although I must admit this one has a strange visual look as if it was shot by some cheap cameras

    @PAts
    ah, Pat, you naive cat, the penguins were just part of the plan, you put our nanorobots in you by eating those penguins.... we now control you... resistance is futile

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Sam
    and isn't this one the most exciting one you've ever seen, I was shocked by the intensity of the trailer. Sometimes they really know how to make stunning videos

    @Melsy
    ah, you naive girl, turn around, they are already behind you and they are not happy... Rico especially....

    ReplyDelete
  15. @DWei
    interesting, I've just learned a new world, if we could call it a word :) Is it the same thing that Homer Simpson uses?

    @Interwebs
    it sure does!

    @Rgers
    it will certainly be a thrilling film

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Scott
    have a nice weekend as well, Scott!

    @Lurk
    I've read some reviews which all praise Biehn's role in this one as his best one so far.

    @Movies
    agreed!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The first movie looks like one my sons and hubby would go for, the latter, my daughter and me. Are you cooking up anything wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like that first one it it supposed to be huge movie? Cuz my local theater only plays the big hits which sometimes really stinks because then I have to wait for the DVDs

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm sold on THE DIVIDE based solely on those posters. Looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great recommendations thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's been a while since I last saw Michael Biehn in a good action film. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  22. @Lizzy
    something for everyone, Lizzy :) Ah, alas, I'm not cooking anything special this weekend, too much work to do and too much work around the house for this hardworking boy :) Can I pop over to your place for something sweet from the oven? :)

    @Lizard
    nope, Lizard, this one is a small film, so it probably won't be played in your cinema :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. @Josh
    hope you watched the amazing trailer too :) I'm actually one of the very few people around the net who has that second poster :)

    @Chip
    glad you liked them

    @RCB
    Yep, he haven't seen him in quite a long time :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow...The Divide looks REALLY promising!!! I am so going to watch it

    ReplyDelete
  25. the trailer is amazing, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm gonna jump on the Divide bandwagon. Looks really good

    ReplyDelete
  27. it does seem like an extremely thrilling film

    ReplyDelete
  28. it should be an interesting film :)

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.