Sunday, November 18, 2012

HOLLYWOOD SPY SPOTLIGHT ON FANTASY ADVENTURE "OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL" WITH RACHEL WEISZ, MICHELLE WILLIAMS, MILA KUNIS, JAMES FRANCO

 I don't know if you have noticed by now, but March is usually the month when we have epic films and fantasy adventures opening up the new cinematic season in theatres. It happened this year with Tarsem's delightful MIRROR MIRROR and the film which has the honour to bring up the fantasy spice into cinemas in March 2013 is Sam Raimi's OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL. Set before the famous classic film from 1939, this one is also inspired by L. Frank Baum's classic bestseller "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz"! Don't forget to check out the second trailer for the film below.

THE STORY OF OZ
Disney's fantastical adventure, directed by Sam Raimi, imagines the origins of L. Frank Baum's beloved character, the Wizard of Oz. When Oscar Diggs (James Franco), a small-time circus magician with dubious ethics, is hurled away from dusty Kansas to the vibrant Land of
Oz, he thinks he's hit the jackpot - fame and fortune are his for the taking - that is until he meets three witches, Theodora (Mila Kunis), Evanora (Rachel Weisz) and Glinda (Michelle Williams), who are not convinced he is the great wizard everyone's been expecting. Reluctantly drawn into the epic problems facing the Land of Oz and its
inhabitants, Oscar must find out who is good and who is evil before it is too late. Putting his magical arts to use through illusion, ingenuity, and even a bit of wizardry, Oscar transforms himself not only into the great and powerful Wizard of Oz but into a better man as well.

THE CAST OF OZ
The lead role of Oscar Diggs is given to James Franco who is working with Raimi for the second time after SPIDERMAN movies,  while Mila Kunis appears as Theodora the Wicked Witch of the West and
Michelle Williams portrays Glenda the Good Witch. Rachel Weisz will be seen as Evanora the Wicked Witch of the East and horror movie icon Bruce Campbell appears in the role of the Dark Wizard. 
Television comedian Zach Braff from SCRUBS also plays in the film alongside Sam Raimi's favourite actor and brother Ted Raimi whom you remember as the clumsy hero from HERCULES and XENA.

OZ TIDBITS
The budget of the film is estimated at around stunning $200 million and some people believe it is a risky business given the fact how much the film looks like Tim Burton's ALICE IN WONDERLAND
with almost identical visual aspect! Johnny Depp and Robert Downey Jr. were the first choices for the main role. Amy Adams, Olivia Wilde, Blake Lively (who made a less intelligent choice of
starring in SAVAGES instead of being Glinda) and Kate Beckinsale were all in the run for the roles of the witches. Sam Raimi wanted Hilary Swank for the role of Evanora, but the studio wouldn't  hear about such horrid choice and demanded for the role to be given to brilliant Rachel Weisz. This is not the only fairy tale film coming up
in the future since we also have HANSEL AND GRETEL in January 2013 and Angelina Jolie's MALEFICENT awaiting premiere. It is interesting that the music for OZ THE GREAT AND POWERFUL is
being composed by Danny Elfman even though he and Sam Raimi had a huge fight during SPIDERMAN 2 shooting after which they said they would never work together again.

35 comments:

  1. I also think Rachel is a better choice.

    These pictures are pulling me right in. It looks like a gorgeous movie. I love this classic tale, so I hope it's a great movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think everybody will agree :)
      They did have amazing ALICE IN WONDERLAND visuals as inspiration.

      Delete
  2. I SOOOOOOOOOO can not wait for this movie to come out!! Wonderful spotlight today Dezzie!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such an expensive movie but it looks awesome with the music and animations ~ Definitely one of my to watch movies for next year ~

    Happy weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. and believe it or not, the authors wanted it to be even more expensive than $ 200 million!

      Delete
  4. This looks spectacular AND expensive AND I can't wait. Love the casting. Can't wait. Thanks for the look, Dez!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has it all for me. Stunning visuals, great plot, character development and a positive message. The photos are lovely darling and the video enchanting. So looking forward to this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we do need a bit of fairy tale on the big screen :)

      Delete
    2. We need a bit of fairy tale in our lives darling. I know I told you I have some flying monkey figures, but I don't think I told you they are modeled on the Wizard of Oz with the little fez caps on their heads. Two of them even have a magic carpet they ride on.

      Delete
    3. I know you hate the costumes, but I find them charming!

      Delete
    4. monkeys on a flying carpet? What drugs was their sculptor on while making them? :PPP

      Delete
  6. I'm sure I'll go see this just out of curiosity. Love the costumes the women are wearing. And that picture of the flying monkey is great. Poor thing. He looks sort of innocent there, like a pre-possessed bellhop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we do like the monkey, but unlike you I positively hate the costumes :) They look like they're borrowed from some cheap Russian circus :)

      Delete
    2. LOL. But I love Theodora's hat. I realize I've had a thing for hats lately. :P

      Delete
    3. we must contact Phillip Treacy and order you a fancy one :P

      Delete
  7. Great spotlight sweetie! I always crack up at the idea of what Baum would think about people turning his political satire into a kid's story. Or even going into depth about the "lives" of the characters. Still this is splendid looking and Michelle is the better choice for Glinda. Blake can't hold a candle to her talent wise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we do like Michelle in this role, we have never seen her in a blockbuster before :)

      Delete
    2. I agree :D Michelle is amazing~

      Delete
  8. The original has always been my favourite movie - from when I was a kid and it showed on TV every year. I hope this is wonderful - but I'm always VERY nervous when they mess with a classic :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, messing with classics can be very tricky!

      Delete
  9. The movie sounds a bit cliched.
    but I'm still waiting for it to be released! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hope it will be released in your country too, Lubaina :)

      Delete
  10. I just saw the trailer yesterday...the creatures and the view are amazing but not sure about the story tho

    ReplyDelete
  11. These fantasy flicks always land on or near my daughter's birthday, so fun! :D
    I will have to see it! I hate it when they remake a loved, classic. This may be more like a rocky road, than a yellow brick one~

    I guess Raimi and Elfman kissed n' made up. It is all about the Emerald city and the green $tuff! What $200 million???!!!

    I do like Rachel for the role, she has the intensity to pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing they will change quite a lot from the classic story, but I've never actually seen the whole story so I don't mind.
      Rachel is always grand!

      Delete
  12. I'd watch OZ for the visuals and the female cast! Btw Dezzy, I've just started watching Once Upon a Time and we like what we see so far. I know you love that show so I thought I'd let you know :)

    – flixy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just watched first two episodes of the second season. The first season was lovely in the first part, then became a bit slow towards the end. I didn't like the second season that much in the first two episodes, but I still love the fantasy element of it and most of the actors.

      Delete
  13. It looks stunning, though I think they might have gone a bit overboard on the visuals (like they did in Alice in Wonderland). I'm looking forward to see how this one does at the box office :)

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's true, we might get an overdose of extreme visuals :) Maybe we should take some pills before watching

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.