Monday, January 30, 2017

PREMIUM SPOTLIGHT ON 'TULIP FEVER' COSTUME DRAMA WITH ALICIA VIKANDER, JUDI DENCH, DANE DEHAAN, CHRISTOPH WALTZ, HOLLIDAY GRAINGER, MATTHEW MORRISON, KEVIN MCKIDD

'TULIP FEVER' PHOTOS
ALICIA VIKANDER & CHRISTOPH WALTZ IN STAR STUDDED MOVIE
Although four long years have passed since it has been shot, period set costume drama TULIP FEVER is only now ready to bloom in cinemas: February 24th will mark the start of its theatre life. It is interesting that its main star Alicia Vikander has in the meantime become one of the most wanted actresses in Hollywood even though she was a relative unknown back when she was cast in the movie instead of Kate Winslet who was the original choice together with Jude Law back in 2004 when the movie was first supposed to be made.

LOVE AND TULIPS
The story of the movie is set in Dutch capital city Amsterdam and follows a beautiful young woman (Alicia Vikander) from the 17th century, married to wealthy merchant (Christoph Waltz), who commissions an artist (Dane DeHaan) to paint her portrait. When the artist arrives, she's smitten, and they plan for a future together by putting their money into the highly speculative tulip market, in which certain flower bulbs were worth huge sums.

JUDI DENCH ALSO IN THE CAST
This $25 million historical drama, directed by Justin Chadwick (who already shot one costume movie The Other Boleyn Girl but it was a major flop both among the critics and the audience), is actually a big screen adaptation of beloved worldwide best selling book by Deborah Moggach also known for her book These Foolish Things which was adapted into classic Best Exotic Marigold Hotel movie. The cast also includes Judi Dench who portrays the Abbess of St. Ursula’s, a rescuer of orphan children. Matthew Morrison appears as drunken bohemian artist Mattheus! Jack O’Connell, Holliday Grainger, Kevin McKidd, Tom Hollander round up the stellar cast and Cressida Bonas plays Mrs. Steen, a merchant’s young wife.

DEZZY'S HISTORY LESSON
Tulip mania or tulipomania was a period in the Dutch Golden Age in the 1600s during which contract prices for bulbs of the recently introduced tulip reached extraordinarily high levels and then suddenly collapsed! At the peak of tulip mania, in March 1637, some single tulip bulbs sold for more than 10 times the annual income of a skilled craftsman. The first tulips came to Europe in 1550s when Ottoman Empire sultan sent first bulbs to Vienna.Tulips were different from any other flower known in Europe at that time.

18 comments:

  1. Wonderful costumes and atmosphere, what a nice period for a movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The costumes are amazing! And I really like Judi Dench.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. Lovely costumes. I actually liked The Other Boleyn Girl. And, tulips are one of my favorite flowers. I have a single one that pops up in my yard each year. I think a squirrel must have thought it a nut and buried it there lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why don't you plant some more? We have a few different colours, I adore them myself, especially the white ones

      Delete
    2. Because I let Jason landscape the entire front yard and it's all rock and hosta. I'm not digging up the rock to plant more. I'd do it in the back, but I don't think there's enough sun back there to encourage healthy blooms. Also, my goal this year is to plant maintenance free plants in my flower beds out back. I seriously hate having to go out there and water them all the time. I'll keep my veggie garden, but I'm over pulling weeds and watering all the time. I'm too old for that shiat lol

      Delete
    3. You can plant a few tulips in large pots in your front yard, even on your deck, deary, they don't need any maintenance and they are very robust, you just need to take the pots into the basement or garage in winter and that is it. We have two pots with unusual light pink tulips and rosy ones and one with white and yellow, and we have red ones around the garden outside the pots.

      Delete
    4. I thought about doing that. Don't you plant them in the fall and leave them outside so they have to go through the cold winter period? I could have swore that's what my neighbor told me to do when we were discussing planting flowers a few years ago. Though he doesn't have tulips of his own, he does have an amazing assortment of flowers he grows in his shed from seed (I'm lazy and buy the stuff that's already bloomed).

      Delete
    5. no, bulbs are usually taken in over winter and it goes for all bulbs, I think that sometimes, every other year or so you can leave them in the ground over winter but only if it won't be a very strong one which never happens in your realm :) You can plant them, methinks, in your pots now and leave them in your garage or basement and when the spring comes they should pop out nicely. Actually I think you can plant a bulb now in a pot, put it in your window and you should have a hyacinth or daffodil or tulip in April or late March even. Google it

      Delete
  4. Great cast! But it's usually not a good sign for a movie when it has been in post-production for that long . . . four years! Oh my.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the movie was shown to the test audience years ago but the reactions were bad, so they kept postponing it, Weinstein Company would've released it in Autumn or earlier this winter to get into Oscar race if it was any good.

      Delete
  5. The Vermeer light in these images is fascinating. I imagine watching this will be a visual delight. And what a great story about her getting a shot at a role and now being sought after. I like these kinds of stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could be the only delight we get from it :)

      Delete
  6. It took a very long time to make it to the big screen. I enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl on television. Maybe this movie will do better on streaming. Especially with the popularity of other costume period pieces like The Crown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we first must see how it will do in cinemas, not that we have high hopes

      Delete
  7. This looks promising to me. Christoph Waltz is such a good actor. Thanks for sharing the trailer. I will be watching for this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it comes very soon, but probably in limited theatres

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.