Tuesday, February 21, 2012

AMAZING NEW CHARACTER PICTURES FROM THIS YEAR'S BIGGEST SF EPIC "JOHN CARTER" WITH TAYLOR KITSCH, LYNN COLLINS, MARK STRONG, JAMES PUREFOY, DOMINIC WEST, POLLY WALKER, SAMANTHA MORTON, WILLEM DAFOE

I swear this will be HOLLYWOOD SPY's last spotlight on this year's biggest sf epic JOHN CARTER, but you know it's my most
anticipated film this year and its premiere is just around the corner - March 9th! It is interesting that according to the latest news, the $250 million epic already has a sequel in plan which will be titled JOHN CARTER: THE GODS OF MARS and will cover the second book in Edgar Rice Burroughs' saga. Early buzz about the film is amazing, and everybody who saw the early screenings has been mesmerized by the film. Check out some of the new pics showing some of the characters from the movie.

JOHN CARTER STORY
This sweeping action-adventure set on the mysterious and exotic planet of Barsoom (Mars) is based on a classic novel by Edgar Rice
Burroughs, whose highly imaginative adventures served as inspiration for many filmmakers, both past and present. The film tells the story of war-weary, former military captain John Carter (Taylor Kitsch),
who is inexplicably transported to Mars where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes,
only to encounter Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior. He will also encounter formidable alien creatures resembling the beasts of ancient myth and he will become reluctantly embroiled in a conflict of epic proportions amongst the inhabitants of
the planet, including Tars Tarkas (Willem Dafoe) and the captivating Princess Dejah Thoris (Lynn Collins). In a world on the brink of collapse, Carter rediscovers his humanity when he realizes that the survival of Barsoom and its people rests in his hands.

JOHN CARTER CAST
Now check out the absolutely amazing cast: Taylor Kitsch (John Carter), Lynn Collins (princess Dejah sporting breathtaking costumes in the trailer), Mark Strong (Matai Shang a ruler with godlike
status, you can see him in the trailer with stunning blue eyes), Willem Dafoe (Tars Tarkas, a 10-foot tall, four armed green Martian), James Purefoy (Kantos Kan, the captain of the kingdom of Helium's grand warship), CiarĂ¡n Hinds (Tardos Mors), Dominic West (Sab Than, a
prince who believes he is entitled to rule Mars), Polly Walker (merciless and tyrannical lady Sarkoja), Thomas Hayden Church (ambitious and vicious warrior Tal Hajus), Samantha Morton (Sola, Tars Tarkas's daughter, a soft-hearted princess of a violent race), Bryan Cranston ...
JOHN CARTER TIDBITS
This is the first live action film of amazing Oscar winner Andrew Stanton who brought us some of the most touching animated classics
from WALL-E,  to FINDING NEMO and A BUG'S LIFE. The number is not official, but it is rumored that this could be one of the most expensive films in history with the budget reaching almost $300 million which means that Disney needs to make it the biggest blockbuster in March 2012 when it premieres in order to bring back all the money! The original name of the film was JOHN CARTER OF MARS, but Disney opted for a shorter name since films containing word "Mars" in the title, weren't successful at the box office so far. Some of the actors who were considered for the lead role instead of Taylor Kitsch include MAD
MEN'S Jon Ham and Josh Duhamel. Robert Rodriguez was the first director to tackle this project with the idea of hiring, now late, Frank Frazetta as production designer. It is interesting that this film has been in development for the longest time in history - 81 years, since the first idea of a movie adaptation was born back in 1931, when there was a
plan to make world's first animated film ever out of it! This is also the first live action film in which Pixar is involved! The film will have mindblowing and extremely interesting music by Michael Giacchino who has composed refined, very retro-epic symphonic music for the film. 

35 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to watching 'John Carter' no matter how cheesy or different from the book it might be. I love 'A Princess of Mars' so I'm just happy to have a movie based on it. And from the little that I've seen of Woola, I know that everyone will fall in love with him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it is my most anticipated film this year, and I'm super excited, especially since I've been waiting for two years now and following its production.

      Delete
  2. What are you going to post when march 9 comes to pass?...lol...I hope it lives up to the hype. As it sounds to be shaping up to be a good one. But still, I never get my hopes up now a days, as most are all flash and nothing more. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's possible I will start obsessing with THE HOBBIT after that :)))

      Delete
  3. Was Mars Attacks a box office flop? How many movies with the word mars in it are there to warrent being afraid of using the word Mars?

    In development for 81 years? Awesome! That made my day! They've been putting off this movie since before my grandparents were born! Back when there was only one world war! Back when people were alive that could remeber a time with out cars!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was a flop, and so was MARS NEEDS MOMS :) The studio's explanation for this title was that girls are not attracted to films with word MARS in it :)

      Delete
    2. so My Step Mother Is An Alien works better than My Step Mother Is From Mars?..lol

      Delete
    3. Don't get me started, Pat :) You know that one of the films based on this book was called PRINCESS OF MARS, which is right for the girls, but then boys wouldn't wanna watch it... it's a deep psychological issue :)

      Delete
  4. I wish I had read the book first. I didn't even know it was a novel until I saw it highlighted here. :(

    With that much money invested I hope it delivers. May go see this one at the theater to get the full screen effect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a very very old novel :)
      The director said a few days ago that it's not true that the budget was that high, but it sure was high :)

      Delete
  5. I hope this will be as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have faith in the director and in all those great actors ;)

      Delete
  6. wait. you're excited about the mars movie?
    never would have guessed.
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely going to see John Carter when that comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cannot wait for John Carter. Taylor, Taylor, Taylor...LOL This looks to be a sumptuous visual feast and I am more than ready to dive in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know how much you love your Taylor :) He seems cute and warm in this one

      Delete
  9. I'm still unsure about John Carter. It sure looks good, but I'm from what I've seen of Kitsch's performances it doesn't bode well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks interesting but I'm kind of skeptical especially since it's a Disney movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it being a Disney movie is actually the biggest recommendation for me personally :)

      Delete
  11. It's got the potential to be a hit or a flop....

    ReplyDelete
  12. I know you like this one Dezzy, but I am still undecided!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. With that much money invested, I hope it does well!

    ReplyDelete
  14. John Carter looks like it has wonderful graphics. I hope it's good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I had a friend send me a message that he thought JOHN CARTER looked like crap. I wanted to punch him in the throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. give me his name and address and I will punch him down bellow where it will hurt him most :)

      Delete
  16. ...and my first thought is 'lift your wrists, woman! You don't hold a sword like that!'
    ;p Ahhh hollywood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but Lynn does look hot, I think she will be huge after this one ;)

      Delete
  17. I know I'm a bit slow on this and time really has moved on BUT only just got to see this! As suggested, Lynn was extremely hawt (one does like a gal in a Frazetta-like cozzie one does) but I wasn't convinced about casting Kitsch. Buff sure, bit just a bit too pasty white if u know what I mean. Didn't get any sunburn running about semi nekked in that Marsian desert either! Movie was a tad too long and tedious in dialogue (fell asleep a few times between action sequences - a sure sign of old age or that the movie didn't really grab me!) Still, the production and the graphics, CGI etc were very good indeed.

    Some nice twists in the storyline (as per the original Rice-Borroughs) but just took too damn long to get to them!

    How hot is that Lynn Collins tho? ;-)

    Belated Cheers,
    Doc

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.