Friday, November 16, 2018

GOTHIC THURSDAY: ARMIE HAMMER TO LEAD 'REBECCA' DAPHNE DU MAURIER GOTHIC THRILLER ADAPTATION! JEKYLL & HYDE'S DAUGHTERS TO UNITE IN 'THE STRANGE CASE OF THE ALCHEMIST DAUGHTER' VICTORIAN SERIES AT CW!

  ARMIE HAMMER TO LEAD
'REBECCA' GOTHIC ADAPTATION!
Armie Hammer will be Maxim de Winter
If you liked last year's My Cousin Rachel, you will be happy to hear that another of Daphne du Maurier's classic novels is getting a big screen adaptation to be led by Armie Hammer! Her gothic thriller REBECCA will be adapted by Ben Wheatley for Netflix!
Lily James will play a newly married young woman who, on arriving at her husband’s imposing family estate on a bleak English coast, finds herself battling the shadow of his dead first wife, the mysterious Rebecca, whose legacy continues to haunt the house.
The 1940 Alfred Hitchcock adaptation starring Joan Fontaine and  Laurence Olivier won an Oscar for Best Film that year and also 11 nominations. Armie Hammer will play brooding Maxim de Winter who  brings his second wife, and the narrator of the story, into his house.

  CW'S NEW VICTORIAN SERIES
TO FOLLOW DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE'S DAUGHTERS
The book will be adapted into series over at CW
Speaking of Gothic things, CW will adapt Theodora Goss' fantasy novel THE STRANGE CASE OF THE ALCHEMIST DAUGHTER  into a TV series. The story is set in Victorian London where two radically different young women – one the daughter of Dr. Jekyll; the other, Mr. Hyde – discover they’re half sisters when a series of gruesome murders appear connected to their deceased father. They unite with other unsung but remarkable daughters of famous literary figures to rise above societal norms and unearth the mystery of their origins. Part of The Extraordinary Adventures of the Athena Club series, the 2017 book was followed by European Travel for the Monstrous Gentlewoman this year.

14 comments:

  1. OMG! I loved that book! You find the bestest things ever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope CW will not disappoint you with the casting if the series gets into production!

      Delete
  2. Both sound like intriguing adaptations. Especially the Alchemist one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Sheena-kay. I'd watch either, or both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Armie Hammer is easy on the eyes, but tends to bore me with his acting.

    The book cover is so intriguing. Imma have to get it from the library, then watch the series. Sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm slowly developing my opinion about Armie too. I've noticed around the net that the public mostly hates him. I'm usually annoyed by his private opinions and his sense of being entitled to have and share his opinion on anything but I've mostly tolerated it because he's so freaking gorgeous and hot. He did not use to bother me much in films before, but now that I think about it he does always seem to have air of a spoilt brat in most of his roles. I personally thought his performance in Call Me By Your Name was bland and had too much superiority and American self-esteem and pompousness to produce any emotion or sense of chemistry with the other actor (who was also bland as unsalted soup).
      I'd still forgive him everything because he's just effity eff hot :) I'm guessing he is the male version of Margot Robbie, as she seem to have all those characteristics herself.

      Delete
    2. Yes, that entitled, better-than-thou attitude irks me so much about him. But, I don't care how hot he is, I can't forgive bad acting. I love your comparison about being as bland as unsalted soup. If a guy has zero personality, I just ain't interested even if he's an 11 on a scale of 1-10. Reminds me of the guys that would date the pretty girls in school who were dumber than a box of rocks. I remember one complaining "My girlfriend Alissa is so hot, but man is she dumb". Well, buddy. You get what you pay for.

      Delete
    3. He needs some vegeta in his life :) Did you know he's the grandson of some American gazillioner who owns mines or whatnot? He says that is why he went into acting, to do something for himself or whatevah, but the fact he grew up in billions shows why he is so pompous and opinionated. Still hot as hell, though :) What can I do, I love me blondes....

      Delete
    4. I guess you can do something for yourself when you have family money to fall back on. How lovely would it be if we could all follow our dreams without worry, but most of us have to work for a living... We should send him a few cans of Vegeta. Might spice him up a bit lol

      Delete
    5. I could spice him up myself... just give him to me :PPPP Packed or unpacked, I'm not picky...

      Delete
  5. 'Rebecca' - what a masterpiece! I read the book and seen two versions of the thriller. I don't remember faces except the one of Mrs. Danvers, the maid in Hitchcock's version. Great role and acting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I vaguely recall watching at least parts of that old black and white film sometime as a kid, but I do still remember that it was marvellously atmospheric! I don't expect the new one will have that, sadly. My Cousin Rachel was also written as a masterpiece of suspense but the movie was mild and mediocre, only the actors were lovely.

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.