THE GREAT DICTATOR
BARBARA CARTLAND BIOGRAPHY ADAPTATION
Eagle Eye Drama has bought adaptation rights on Matthew Sweet's biography of world's third most sold author of all times
Barbara Cartland titled THE GREAT DICTATOR. Published this month it shows Cartland as one of the most recognizable English public figures of the 20th Century. Born in 1901, she was a fixture of British society for nearly a hundred years, rubbing shoulders with press barons, politicians, the aristocracy, and of course the Royal Family. But her private life was more compelling and unbelievable than her most outlandish plot! Known for her outlandish pink chiffon clothes and thick black shoe cream mascara, she is a figure who has been loved and scorned in equal measure. She was a ferocious champion of romantic love with a less than idyllic and rather scandalous love life of her own.
![]() |
| The book will be turned into a series |

A rebel with awful pink chiffon clothes..
ReplyDeleteShe really enjoyed her kitsch and schund LOL
DeleteI would never have expected Barbara Cartland to become the subject of a television drama, but now I am curious to see what tone they choose. This could be wonderfully flamboyant or unexpectedly sharp, and I hope they do not turn her into a polite and harmless costume character. One thing is certain: the budget for pink fabric is going to terrify the accountants.
ReplyDeleteA huge hug
No, I imagine it will be completely irreverent as she herself was LOL It will be a playground for a great actress that they pick to play her. Dame Edna would have been perfect, but, alas, she left us a few years ago, God bless her soul. Do not worry, you can find cheap pink chiffon in Chinese stores.
DeleteUna serie che otterrà sicuramente il dovuto successo, visto che alla gente piace curiosare nella vita di personaggi famosi.
ReplyDeleteBuona giornata
Buona giornata, Silvia
DeleteNever liked her novels, but admired her greatly. I only read one of her autobiographies "We danced All Night" , but rather see her through the eyes of others.
ReplyDeleteI was surprised to hear she is third most sold author after Shakespeare and Christie, given that I do not know a single of her titles LOL, plus any friend of Diana is my enemy LOL
DeleteShe wassn't friends with Diana. She was the mother of Di's hated stepmom (Di almost killed her once) Their relationship was vague and strained, but Dame Barbara understood the Princess' problems. Diana had spent her youth reading Cartland novels and thought the world was made of pink chiffon.
DeleteYes, she was always stupid like that, long live king Charles and dear queen Camilla.
DeleteSome days I hope I live to be old enough to live a flamboyant and outlandish lifestyle. Then again, head to toe pink does not look good on me, so I shall probably always remain humble and demure.
ReplyDeleteShe sure did enjoy herself, but I guess that is how it goes when you are born into riches.
DeleteI've never heard of her. This sounds entertaining.
ReplyDeleteWhat? She is the third most sold author in the world!
DeleteMe gustan sus novelas. Las leía de niña. Te mando un beso
ReplyDeleteGlad to hear it!
DeleteVai ser uma série interessante conhecer a vida da Bárbara, Dezmond abraços.
ReplyDeleteYes, it will be an interesante serie.
Delete