Sunday, May 27, 2012

HOLLYWOOD SPY SPOTLIGHT ON UPCOMING IRISH & IRISH SET COMEDIES "ANGELS' SHARE", "THE RUNWAY" AND "WHOLE LOTTA SOLE" WITH BRENDAN FRASER!

I bet you will agree with me that the best comedies usually come from the British isles. They have horrid food, bad weather, but they sure do know how to use humour on film. Here are three of the upcoming comedy films from Ireland and Britain.

WHOLE LOTTA SOLE
We haven't seen always charming Brendan Fraser much lately, but here he is in WHOLE LOTTA SOLE, which was recently shown at Tribeca Film Festival. The story of the hilarious comedy revolves around a botched fish market
robbery that leads to the involvement of the local police and a gangster out for revenge. In a misguided attempt to protect his family and pay back gambling debts to the local Mobster, Jimbo (Martin McCan) robs a fish market, which is coincidentally owned by the same Mobster (David O'Hara). On the run, Jimbo is cornered in a local curio shop, where he takes hostage an assortment of colourful characters, including Maguire (Brendan Fraser), who may be his illegitimate father. Surrounded by the Police, the SAS, and the Mobster's crew, the young man must find a way out of his precarious predicament with the help of his oddball captives. The cast also includes Colm Meaney and the director is Academy Award Winner Terry George (IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER, HOTEL RWANDA).

THE RUNWAY
Also shown at this year's Tribeca Film Festival was another Irish comedy set in Ireland THE RUNWAY.  The hilarious and touching movieis inspired by the true story of a South American pilot who landed his plane near Mallow, in 1983. Against all odds, the people of the town came together to build a runway to get him home and briefly caught the imagination of the nation. It is the story of Paco, a young boy without a father who adopts the pilot and convinces the town to build a runway to get him home.The cast includes James Cosmo, Kerry Condon
and Demian Bichir. The film was both written and directed by Irish filmmaker Ian Powers.


 THE ANGELS' SHARE
And there's also British comedy THE ANGELS' SHARE which has been shown at this year's Cannes film festival and is directed by famous Ken Loach.
This bitter sweet comedy follows protagonist Robbie as he sneaks into the maternity hospital to visit his young girlfriend Leonie and hold his newborn son Luke for the first time. Overwhelmed by the moment, he swears that Luke will not have the same tragic life he has had. Escaping a prison sentence by the skin of his teeth, he's given one last chance......While serving a community service order, he meets Rhino, Albert and Mo who, like him, find it impossible to find work because of their criminal records. Little did Robbie imagine how turning to drink might change their lives - not
cheap fortified wine, but the best malt whiskies in the world. Will it be 'slopping out' for the next twenty years, or a new future with 'Uisge Beatha' the 'Water of Life?' Only the angels know........ The films hits Irish cinemas this June.

41 comments:

  1. Whole Lotta Sale looks really funny! Awesome that there are trailers for all these :). I think it goes from funniest to least funniest (top to bottom) but they all look great. I do agree some of the best comedies come from the British isles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it does look funny and fun :) And we do like their humour, it's always very satirical!

      Delete
  2. Whole Lotta Sole looks like a good time. But I can hardly understand what they're saying in The Angels' Share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. but we do love the Irish, Scottish and Welsh accents!

      Delete
  3. Well the Angles share sounds a bit different lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whole lotta sole should be good

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it seems to be the crowd's favourite so far :)

      Delete
  5. Whole lotta sole looks to be the best of the bunch to me. At least they can poke fun at the crap they have to go through over there as well, that is always a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. poking fun with the crap is the only way to survive :) That's why me loves poking you, cat :PPP

      Delete
    2. haha and plenty of crap there is to poke too!

      Delete
  6. We've achieved a whole new day when a movie like Whole Lotta Sole can be made and not piss off half the country. Not very many people could have done a movie set in Belfast with an IRA gun and lots and lots of shooting. It's good craic and that's a fact. I have to see it.

    The Runway is brilliantly funny. Oh God Dez you have to see this because you'll see just how odd we are. The way we get things done is backwards but somehow we feckin' well get it done. This took place not far from where my family lives. And watching the trailer made me laugh and cry all at the same time. Whole Lotta Sole will be great mind you, but it's The Runway that has my heart.

    Thank you so much for this darling, you've helped me immensely on this day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing this from you today just made me feel so happy inside, Anne =)

      Delete
    2. @Annzie
      I don't have to see how odd you are, Annzie :) You know that Serbs are identical :) We do everything the crazy way too.
      And there actually similar stories from our side too, for examples the situations from WW2 in which Serbian villagers would save and hide American pilots from the Nazis and such things, only to be bombed by the USA half a century later on.
      I'm extremely happy that the spotlight has managed to cheer you up a bit!

      Delete
  7. Nice trailers...I specially like Angels movie ~

    Happy weekend ~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally agree with British humor. There movies, shows are absolutely funny. They sure guarantee you laugh but lazy lazy. They have totally 6 episodes per season. What?

    Brandon Fraser , handsome funny hunk, why did they decide to replace him with a milksop in mummy 3?
    Runaway sounds like a keeper?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I grew up with British humour since their shows such as BLACK ADDER, ALO ALO, ONLY FOOLS AND HORSES were classics here in my country.
      They thought the milksop would take over the franchise from Fraser, but they forgot that the MUMMY isn't MUMMY without Stephen Sommers directing it :(

      Delete
  9. I like the retro look of the poster

    ReplyDelete
  10. I must be in a sentimental mood tonight. I normally get drawn in first by the comedy but when I watched The Runway it pulled at my heartstrings knowing it was based on a true story. For a town to pull together like that for a total stranger? How amazing is that?

    So, for once, I'm choosing a drama/comedy over a comedy LOL. Although, Sole looks promising too...just not as much. =) I blame Anne and her Irish influence on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore movies like THE RUNWAY in which something happens and provokes the warmth in a whole community.
      As I said above in the comment to Annzie, here in Serbia we have a lot of similar stories to that one in which a whole village would save an American pilot from the Nazis or something in that vein.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if that would happen here in the States. I'd like to think yes. That when push came to shove, people would pull together and good would shine through. That's what I'd like to think, anyway =)

      Delete
    3. well, if American villages have people like you.... :) there's space for optimism :)

      Delete
    4. awwww, Dezz - that just made my heart smile!!

      Delete
  11. 3 pieces of Irish quality, makes me homesick!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm still not sure what I think about Brendan Fraser...

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a pretty big Trek fan so I'm excited for anything with Colm Meaney.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you have a like button like in wordpress, I have clicked that button ;)

    Thank you for sharing this Dezz :)
    I look forward to find these movies, sadly I have to said through torrentz because I know for sure they won't be played here. Your opening sentences are so true, the Brits sure know how to make people laugh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to have the LIKE button, but sadly I don't :(

      Delete
    2. the LIKE button can be a curse too at special occasion ;)
      I hate it when someone only push the like button but didn't say anything

      Delete
  15. All three of these look fantastic and I adore Brendan Fraser. He's been in some of my favorite movies.

    I agree with you about the best comedies coming from the Isles and Ireland. They do have brilliant humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, it's never shallow, but usually very satirical and ironic, and I've been told that only intelligent people get those :)

      Delete
    2. That's why we get it Dez. Two brilliant minds right here. :)

      Delete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.