Tuesday, January 10, 2012

PERIOD FILMS TUESDAY: "FAREWELL, MY QUEEN" WITH DIANE KRUGER & "EFFIE" WITH DAKOTA FANNING, EMMA THOMPSON & TOM STURRIDGE

Well, it seems we are having a period Tuesday today at HOLLYWOOD SPY, since two of the upcoming historical movies have had their first
pictures released around the Net recently.
 FAREWELL, MY QUEEN
The first one is for FAREWELL, MY QUEEN, a French film which will premiere this February at famous Berlin Film Festival. Directed by Benoit Jacquot the story of the film is set in Versailles in July 1789. Unrest is growing in the court of King Louis the XVI. The people are rebelling - a revolution is imminent. Behind the facades of the royal palaces, everyone is thinking of fleeing, including Queen Marie Antoinette (Diane Kruger) and her entourage. Among her ladies-in-waiting is Sidonie Laborde (Lea Seydoux) who as the Queen's reader has become
quite intimate with her. With great amazement, Sidonie experiences the first hours of the French Revolution. Her status as courtier makes her the best kind of narrator in the film - both an insider and an observer of the royals. She describes the final days before revolution engulfs the palace with insight and surprising slices of humor.
I'm not sure if we need another Marie Antoinette film after Sofia Copolla's horrid flop with Kirsten Dunst, especially with Diane Kruger (who isn't really a good actress, remember her shockingly bad acting in TROY?) in the lead role, but we shall give this one a benefit of the doubt.
DAKOTA FANNING'S EFFIE
Another period film for today is the one with young Dakota Fanning in the lead role in a period drama EFFIE which revolves around Effie Gray, a teenager who married famous London art critic John Ruskin (Greg Wise) in the 1850s but he refused to consummate the marriage since he was repulsed by her body even though Effie was considered a gorgeous girl. In the end she turned her affections to Ruskin's protege, famous Victorian painter John Everett Millais (Tom Sturridge). It' s interesting that the story was written by Emma Thompson who will also appear in the film beside two legends
Derek Jacobi and Julie Walters. The cast also includes Claudia Cardinale, Robbie Coltrane and super charming Russell Tovey from BEING HUMAN.
It is also interesting that the first candidates for the lead roles were Saoirse Ronan and Orlando Bloom and that Greg Wise is
Emma Thompson's real life husband and that this is Dakota Fanning's first role as an adult actress.The movie should appear in cinemas this June and as you can see from these pictures it will feature some really amazing and colourful costumes!

40 comments:

  1. Well, you know I'm a big fan of the period movies. I'll probably watch both of these at some point. I only remember Kruger from the Basterds movie, so I guess I won't be too biased towards her acting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Dezzy! Happy New Year, my friend! :D Effie sounds waaaay more promising than Farewell My Queen but I'll probably still try Queen out. I was also traumatized my Kruger in Troy but I still need my French Revolution fix! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. what? You mean you haven't watched TROY, Luanne? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Sammy
    hey, Samwise, missed you a lot, darling, Happy New Year to you as well! He he "traumatized" is the right word :) Glad you like both of today's films, I'm having an amazing period film tomorrow as well, even better than these two :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Effie looks interesting.

    I haven't seen a Marie Antoinette film yet. I didn't see the flop with Dunst. I also haven't seen any of Kruger's movies yet. That bad, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you didn't miss much then, Medeia :) Most of those named weren't that good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it should be interesting for those who love the genre and it should be pleasing for the eye ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think I did see Troy, but obviously it didn't really stick with me. Was Kruger Helen? I have no recollection. I guess it was a forgettable performance. :((

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure these ones will do it for me at all, but you never know. Sometimes they aren't bad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some amazing costumes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dezz - I'm fond of period pieces, but I am a wee bit picky (I know, it's hard to believe, isn't it) about what I watch when it comes to portraying the past, particularly the history of European royalty! (I don't like seeing the "family" tarnished in public) ;)

    I may give Farewell, my Queen a pass and take in Effie - I enjoy little Miss Dakota (although she was in a recent perfume ad and I was less than impressed with how she was situated - naturally I blogged about it here, but I still enjoy her on screen.

    Smiles coming your way,
    Jenny @ PEARSON REPORT

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do enjoy period pieces because I love history (although AHollywood takes extreme license with being factual). The costumes in Farewell My Queen look magnificant. I'd like to see Effie though. I read your comment darling, I'm Irish and living in America right now with my Hubby. When I go home, I go to Ireland. I know, sometimes I confuse myself. I'm going to tweet you in a minute.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The usual interpretation is that Ruskin was gay and that's why he couldn't consummate the marriage. Poor Effie did not deserve the blame.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You know period films are for me and great to find out about two new films to look forward to. Thanks Dezz for the inside info. I love Emma Thompson so am really looking forward to Effie and to seeing what she does with this true story that is probably not very widely known.

    I have to agree with you that we don't really need another movie focused on Marie Antoinette. Looks like it will be a visually beautiful film though. (I confess I didn't see the MA version with Kirsten Dunst)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really love the sound of Effie. It looks completely gorgeous and what a story. I knew nothing of this film so thank you, thank you for spotlighting it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Period films are not my bag Dezzy, so I have little to add here.

    My friend is bullying me into watching Downtown Abbey, so maybe I will change

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've never been able to get into period dramas, which surprised me. However, for some reason modernish historical pieces (King's Speech, Frost/Nixon) were my cup of tea (again, that surprised me).

    ReplyDelete
  18. I actually liked Sofia's Marie Antoinette movie....which makes me think of farewell my Queen as rather pointless. But perhaps it may surprise me

    And i was already anticipating Effie because of Dakota.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never realised that Dakota has THE face to play in such movie! I hope it will make her career grow. Might be interesting, with all those great actors!

    Lucinda

    ReplyDelete
  20. not my type of film but might watch it with my mrs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the costuming for period films. So opulent.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Maybe a look at Farewell my Queen......

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like period peices! And Effie looks very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those both sound good, and I love the pictures! I think I'm ready for another Marie Antoinette film, even though I really didn't care for the Kirsten Dunst one.

    ReplyDelete
  25. @Luanne
    yep, it was pretty forgetable, but I did adore Peter O'Toole's and Eric Bana's amazing performances, and Saffron Burrows was also great as Hector's wife

    @Pat
    I knew that cat doesn't like period things :)

    @Jemi
    they sure are :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. @Speaker
    thanks :)

    @Jenny
    well, to admit the truth most of the royals are bad people :) or crazy people, or selfish people like in MA's case :)

    @Anne
    I was a bit confused because I thought you live in Ireland, so your comment yesterday revealed to me that you are actually in USA :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @Debs
    the most common story is that he was shocked by her pubic hair, because he thought women are hairless down there :) I think that will be shown in the film as well. It was a Victorian age, people were crazy then :)

    @Fabo
    glad you liked the post, don't forget to drop by tomorrow, because I will have an amazing BBC series trailer, something very new and very lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. @Melsy
    I wrote about it before a couple of times, but now we have the first pics. Hope you liked them

    @Scott
    I think I will also enjoy DOWNTON ABBEY but I never seem to find the time to watch it. I finished MERLIN, and will watch SPARTACUS later this month and that's my quota when it comes to shows :)

    @Jamie
    yep, it's strange since you love history

    ReplyDelete
  29. @Dirty
    thanks for the comment

    @Lucinda
    it might, looks like it could be a nice role if she gives her best

    @Zap
    mrs will probably love them :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. @Lynda
    very opulent

    @Lurk
    at least one :)

    @Berserc
    glad to hear that :)

    @Suzie
    yep,a new period film is always welcomed :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love period costumes, but I'm just not a Dakota Fanning fan yet. Not impressed by her.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I do remember you talking about Effie before. I've been so discombobulated lately I forgot. :)The pictures look really beautiful and I can't wait to see it. Hope the trailer comes soon.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wow, these look so good. Thanks for adding these.

    ReplyDelete
  34. @Josh
    she hasn't impressed me either, yet, Josh

    @Melsy
    I shall post it as soon as it arrives :)

    @Clarissa
    be welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. @Josh
    she hasn't impressed me either, yet, Josh

    @Melsy
    I shall post it as soon as it arrives :)

    @Clarissa
    be welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. @Josh
    she hasn't impressed me either, yet, Josh

    @Melsy
    I shall post it as soon as it arrives :)

    @Clarissa
    be welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. EFFIE sounds like it could be really really good!

    ReplyDelete
  38. glad you like it, Victoria :) we shall keep our fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete

GIVE SOME LOVE TO YOUR DEZZY :) DON'T FORGET THAT BLOGGER'S NEW COMMENT BOX OFTEN REQUIRES FOR YOU TO DISABLE PROTECTION ON YOUR BROWSER IN ORDER TO COMMENT.